Chapter Eleven

Makaia's POV

I turned around to see the Carmel looking boy walking up to me.

"I-I heard about Bryshere. I'm sorry." He said.

"Don't say sorry." I said

"But I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know he's your best friend."

"Oh my fucking God would you stop saying sorry. It's not going to fix the situation or make anything better, so don't even say it."

"You're right, it doesn't fix anything. Look, I knew Bryshere. After you went . . . Away, he and I became pretty close. He talks about you all the time, and he couldn't wait for you to get back home. I just thought you should know that."

I could feel tears beginning to form in my eyes, so I didn't say anything. I just stared at the freckles on his face until he spoke again.

"Look Makaia, I don't know what you're feeling right now, or what you're thinking. But if you need anything in general just tell me and I'm there." He said taking off his bag to pull out a notebook and a pencil. He began to write something on it and then handed it to me. "Here's my number. Like I said, if you need anything, or somebody to talk to, just text me."

I took the paper from him and wiped a shedded tear from my cheek.

"Thanks." I said finally although my voice was shaky.

"No problem." The boy said as he held eye contact with me.

Two seconds later, the bell rang. I walked out the doors and made my way to the cafeteria for lunch. I wasn't really hungry, so I just sat down at the table.

"Kai?" I turned around to see Jasmine rushing over to me.

"Oh my God, are you okay?"

"I'm fine Jas."

"Um clearly you're not. And where's your phone? I've been calling you all night."

"Dead."

"And you couldn't charge it because?"

"Because I didn't have time."

"No, you had time. You always have time."

"Well my phone's dead and I didn't feel like charging it." I said getting up from the table and walking out the cafeteria. I couldn't stand to be in school anymore. I just wanted to leave, to escape, to be with Bryshere. After about 10 minutes after I left the cafeteria, I decided to go get my work for the week from all my classes. I'm not coming back, they can miss me with that shit. Once I got my assignments, I went to the front office. Just my luck, the school counselor wanted to talk to me.

Algee's POV

Man I'm freaking out right now. I've been calling Makaia's phone since we got in that fight last night at the hospital. I called Woody to see if he'd gotten a hold of her, but he wasn't answering either. I stopped by her house this morning, but her mom said she never came home. I really hope nothing happened to her and that she's okay. I can't afford to deal with anymore mental or emotional pain right now. Not after what happened to Bryshere yesterday.

I was sitting on my couch when I got a text, a weird text.

843-826-9658: hey don't worry bout it, I'm fine

Me: hey man I think you have the wrong number

I put my phone on my couch and leaned back in my chair to take a nap, but I had this weird ass dream.

Natashia's POV

I was on my way in the school when I saw Makaia. She was walking out with all of her things. She looked like she had a rough night, like she needed someone to talk to.

"Makaia. Makaia. Bitch don't fucking ignore me when I'm talking to you."

She turned around to face me and looked like she was trying to hold back her tears.

"What Natashia? I'm not in the mood for your bullshit today, or any day. So why don't you just do us both a favor and leave me the fuck alone."

"Woah, are you crying?"

"No I'm not and it doesn't matter, I don't have to explain myself to you."

"Chill I was just tryna make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine, bye."

"Where are you going?"

"Man get the fuck out my face."

"I'm coming with you."

"No, you're not."

"I didn't ask."

We left the school and went to the hospital. She explained everything that happened with Bryshere and how scared she was. I got up out my chair and walked over to the table next to Bryshere's hospital bed.

"So how you feeling?" I asked Makaia.

"Better."

"Hey remember that time Bryshere had his first drink?"

"Oh yeah, he ruined my goldfish by putting them in the bowl of water."

"The fish are drowning, the fish are drowning." I said as we both laughed.

"He vowed he'd never drink again."

"You and I both know that wasn't gonna happen."

"Ain't that the truth."

"Damn, we used to be so close, what happened to us?"

"Did you seriously just ask me that?"

"Yeah, I did. I honestly don't know what happened. It's like you forgave Bryshere but you never forgave me. We didn't even talk about it."

"There was nothing to forgive you for. You slept with my best friend and you were supposed to be my sister. Why would I forgive you for fucking my first love?"

"I get why you were mad, but Kai, y'all weren't even together."

"Don't call me Kai. You lost that privilege a long ass time ago. You let Bryshere hit knowing how I felt about him. I was in love with him so excuse me if I don't want to have anything to do with you."

"Kai I'm so so-."

"I told you to stop calling me that. Don't apologize because you don't fucking mean it. I trusted you. Natashia you were my fucking sister. We were family but you fucked that up. So don't come at me with that bullshit. You wanted to know, now you do."