Chapter Ten

Makaia's POV

Once I was outside, I decided to walk around. I needed to clear my head. I had to get my thoughts straight. I walked out the hospital parking lot and down the street. Past the old Walmart Woody and I got banned from for pulling pranks on the other costumers. Past the park Malachi and I went to for venting. Until finally, I was at the gas station. I made my way inside and headed straight for the snacks. I needed some Cracker Jack and fast. It always seems to help make me feel better.

Everyone was blowing up my phone trying to find out where I was, to make sure I was okay. Only I didn't want to talk to them. If it wasn't about Bryshere, I didn't want to hear it. I just wanted to be left alone, but nobody understood. Nobody ever understands. Nobody ever takes my feelings into consideration. They just do whatever they want.

I really didn't want to go home, so I just kept walking. The sky was now pitch black and I was enjoying the sight. The beautiful stars reminded me of Bryshere, Woody, Rashad, and I laying outside after Bryshere's 15th Birthday.

We just laid up on the grass staring at the moon and the stars. Rashad and Woody ended up going home, but I decided to stay over with Bryce. We eventually ended up going inside because it was starting to get chilly. We stayed up all night talking about life and our future goals. That was the night we promised each other we'd be best friends forever. And about a month or two later, I was behind bars.

After hours of me walking, I decided to go to the bus stop. The bus dropped me off where I needed to go, and I walked up the driveway of my second home. I looked under the mat and grabbed my spare key, unlocked the door and walked inside. I headed straight for a certain room. Once in the room, I closed the door and took off my shoes. I walked over to my drawer and pulled out some basketball shorts and a sports bra. I quickly changed clothes and crawled into the bed. "Goodnight Bryshere." I said before drifting off to sleep.

Present Day; Tuesday, December 3

I woke up to the sun shining on my face. I turned over in the bed and looked at the time. "Shit." I overslept and I have school today. I got up and walked over to my drawer. I pulled out my black joggers and my grey hoodie. I got dressed and walked back over to the bed and bent down to the floor where my pants from yesterday were. I looked in the pocket and grabbed my phone. Just my luck, it was dead.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and pulled my hair up into a messy bun. I then grabbed my phone and walked to the closet. I pulled out a pair of Nike slides and made my way out the house. I walked down the street to Woody's. His older cousin is always home, so I figured he'd give me a ride to school. And I was right. After about 10 minutes of explaining and convincing, and another 15 for the car ride, I showed up at school. I'm so glad I missed 1rst period because I really don't feel like Mr. Murrie's ass today. Or Marcus l because I promise you, if he says anything to me today, his ass getting boxed. And that's real shit.

After I got my pass, I went to Mrs. Peters class for English. I knocked on the door and she answered it after my like 10th time knocking.

"Makaia, you're late." Mrs. Peters said.

"I can see that."

"Excuse me?"

"I said I can see that."

"Look, I'm sorry, but you can't come in my class."

"And why not?"