Chapter 6 - What Follows

Start from the beginning

I did my best to keep my hesitation out of my tone as I questioned, "Where would we be going?"

"Wherever the night takes us."

I turned towards the window to see that the sun had set and despite my better judgement, I decided that I wanted to find out where he intends to take me.

So, I shot him a playful smirk of my own. "Sure."

He tossed some money down on the table and rose to his feet before offering his hand to me. I place my hand in his and he leads me out the entrance. I took note of the fact that he didn't release my hand as we moved down the sidewalk. It didn't take long for me to figure out where we were heading as Chris guided me towards the London Eye Ferris wheel.

"Well, aren't you original." I remark sarcastically as we get in line.

Chris surprised me by sticking his tongue out at me before saying, "Oh come on, would you really pass up an opportunity to ride something like this?"

"Okay, I guess you have a point."

Thankfully it didn't take too long for us to be up next to get in one of the capsules. I lifted my head to stare up at the huge glowing blue wheel. Just taking in the sight made me dizzy and Chris moved his hand to the small of my back.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he steadied me.

"Yeah, heights just freak me out a little bit."

"Do you want to just skip out on this then?"

When I turned to look at him, I halfway expected to find him annoyed, but that wasn't the case. A look of genuine concern was painted across his features. Thoughts of how Matt would've reacted flashed through my mind, the way he would have fussed about me ruining the evening and how he probably would carry that attitude into the next day. I was grateful for Chris's selfless response. None the less I wasn't going to let my fear get the better of me right now.

I shook my head. "I should be fine."

He gave me another apprehensive look, "Are you sure?"

This time I was the one to grab his hand. "I'm sure I'll find a way to survive."

I was pleased to watch the smile that sprang up on his face and after that we hurried to get on the Ferris wheel with the rest of our group. We ended up sitting near the edge of the almond shaped bench in the middle of the capsule, our shoulders pressed together. I felt my stomach drop as we ascended bit by bit. In the matter of fifteen minutes, we were at the top and as far as the eye could see laid the city lights of London. It was a truly breathtaking thing to witness as the sun continued to sink and the landscape gained a reddish golden tint.

Chris lightly rested his hand on my knee questioning, "How are you feeling?"

"As long as I don't look straight down, I think I'll be alright."

He let out a small laugh, "I'll be sure to keep you from doing that then."

Once our ride was over and we were back on the ground, I decided that it was time for me to head back to campus. I didn't want to scare Lea too badly by staying out really late. Chris was kind enough to offer to walk me to the train station and on the way, we started talking about music.

"So, what's your favorite genre?" He asks as we stroll along the sidewalk.

"Hm, it's a toss-up between rock and electronic."

He nodded appreciatively, "Nice, and what about your favorite band?"

I sent him a pleading glance and in a slightly whiny tone questioned, "Is this payback for my book question earlier? Do you know how hard that is to answer?"

"Oh, c'mon, it isn't that difficult."

"Well, if it's so easy, then what's yours?"

"Bleeding Through." He replies with an impish grin.

I sighed heavily, which made him chuckle. I silently racked my brain for an answer to settle with, but I couldn't pick just one. I ended up rating my favoritism on how long I had been listening to the musician and right as I open my mouth to give him an answer, he stops me. Chris sends me a look of warning and holds a finger up to his lips.

"We're being followed." He whispers.

"What?" I chirp out.

"Be careful about it, but turn around a little."

I gradually moved my head and spot a shadowy figure trailing us from several yards behind.

I hesitantly turn my attention back to Chris as I breathe, "What do we do?"

His hazel eyes dart around the area surrounding us as he mouths, "Follow me."

Chris slips his fingers between mine and leads me down another street to our left. I steal a quick peek over my shoulder, but a minute later the stranger is there yet again. Chris let out a quiet sigh, somehow sounding irritated as he took a right this time. I sincerely hoped that we were trying to get away from this person for no reason. That this was all just a coincidence. I shrank into Chris's side unconsciously when the mysterious silhouette reappeared.

"Now what?" I hissed.

He scowled and pulled me down another road.

"Chris, this isn't work..." I begin to point out when I'm suddenly slammed into a wall.

Chris presses his hand over my mouth before I have a chance to scream out. His body presses against mine and my thoughts swiftly take a turn for the worst. Footsteps tap closer to us as I stare up at him with wide, terrified eyes. He gives a tiny shake of his head and becomes so still that I swear he is holding his breath. The footfalls get louder the longer we stand there and I wonder if Chris can feel the way my heart is hammering in my chest.

I listen as the night fades back into silence and Chris drops his hand from my face. I inhale shakily as I release the grip I had unknowingly put on his arms.

In a voice that would have been inaudible if we weren't so close to each other I ask, "Are they gone?"

"Stay right here and I'll check." He tells me in a low voice and steps into the streetlights.

My mind pleaded for me to pull him back into darkness, but a bigger part of me wanted to know if we were safe. My heart nearly burst out of my chest when a hand juts back into the shadow I was hiding in a few minutes later, but I notice the letters S.C.R.A. tattooed on the owner's fingers. I let out a breath of relief, realizing that its Chris's Scranton tattoo.

"Let's get out of here." He mutters and we hurry out of the area.

The whole way to the train station we stayed close together, both of us still obviously rattled from earlier.

When a train finally pulls up, Chris wraps his arms around me in a gentle hug saying, "Call me when you get back to your dorm."

I nod against his shoulder as I tell him, "Be careful, okay?"

He leans away and gives me a smile that I'm sure he's trying to make reassuring. "I'll do my best."