He must've seen my slight confusion because he sighed and sat down in one of the waiting room seats with me in his lap. I hadn't even noticed that we had exited the corridor and entered another spacious room. This one was smaller than the reception area but kept in with the same theme that ran throughout the building. Lino flooring, bright orange plastic chairs, calming blue wall and the same nearly unbearable smell of antiseptic.

"Most people in my pack don't usually see me this devoted to a particular person" he tried to explain, but if anything, it just made me more confused than I already was.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair "I haven't told people yet that you're my mate. I wanted you to be more healed before you officially met any of the pack members as it can be a bit overwhelming. People are curious as to why I'm being so protective of you, that's all" he shrugged.

I frowned, still not understanding what the heck he was on about. What does he mean when he says words like pack and mate? I thought when he called me little mate it was just some weird kind of nickname he had given me, like how I've heard Tony call his friends mates when they came round for their monthly poker game.

I shuddered at the memory of the last poker game he had held just over two weeks ago. Let just say that Tony's friends liked to torment me just as much as the Leftens did.

"Annabelle? We're ready for you".

I looked up to see where the voice had come from and saw a lady on the other side of the small waiting room as she poked her head out from behind a reception desk. I nodded slightly at her, thankful that she had distracted me enough from my thought trail but then froze when I thought about what she had said.

How did she know my name? I had only told Jax that piece of information and I had been with him the whole time since then, he hadn't told anyone. Unless she knew of me through the Leftens and worked for them? Oh god what if she tells them that I'm here and they come and get me? I can't go back to that place again, not now that I know what it's like to have escaped and not constantly live in fear. My heart rate suddenly hit the roof, perspiration covered my skin as I broke out in a cold sweat.

"Hey...hey little mate it's okay, I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. Not a single person in this building would dare do anything to harm you" he stated as he held my cheek in one of his hands. He had shifted and was now crouched down in front of me, when did he even move?

"Do you trust me?" He whispered, his face close enough to mine that I can feel his breath ever so slightly fan against my cheeks. His touch calmed me slightly, but I didn't allow myself to relax just yet.

Did I trust him? That was the big question I kept asking myself... did I trust him? Do I trust this stranger whom I've never met before to not lay a hand on me, not only that but to protect me from people who do want to? I looked into Jax's eyes, his soft chocolate brown eyes and I knew my answer straight away. Yes. I don't know why I trust him not to hurt me, but I did.

I took a deep breath and offered him a small smile before ever so slightly nodding my head, letting him know that I was okay and that I did, in fact, trust him. My heart started to slow down as I took in a deep, calming breath. I was positive that I had not seen that woman behind the desk before, meaning that she couldn't have worked for the Leftens. Jax must've told her my name when I wasn't paying attention, I rationalised as I let my fear slip away from me. I trusted him.

Jax let out a breath I hadn't noticed he was holding and gave me a smile which formed a cute dimple to appear on one of his cheeks. My heart stuttered a but at the sight and I suddenly became very warm, when did it get so hot in here?

"Come on angel, the doctor is waiting for us" Jax stated as he stood up with me safely tucked back into his arms.

I snuggled into his hold, loving the warmth that came from him, he was just so comfortable, like a heated blanket that cocooned me in safety. I was so distracted by the feel of Jax's arms around me that I hadn't even noticed that we were already in some form of office. It was a simple room, with a desk and two chairs in one corner, a bed pushed up to the other side of the room and a filling cabinet by the now closed door. An indoor fern tree sat by the open window, making the place feel a little more relaxed but I just couldn't help but tense as my eyes landed on a woman in her mid-fifties standing in the middle of the room with her hands clasped behind her back.

"Annabelle I'm Doctor Tessler, it's lovely to meet you".

Although she appeared nice when she held her hand out, presumably for me to shake, I shrunk back into Jax's arms slightly and just stared at her.

"Annabelle doesn't speak much" Jax filled in for her, thankfully saved me from anymore awkwardness, and I looked up at him to see his eyes slightly unfocused and looking straight ahead at something. I frowned and looked over at the doctor to notice that she had the same far off look in her eyes, before they both snapped back to reality and went to sit in their respective chairs around the doctor's deck. I frowned but otherwise didn't comment on the weird actions of the two, best to never ask questions.

"Now Annabelle, I gave you a once over when Jax took you back to his house but I just wanting to do a more thorough examination of you once you'd woken up, that way you could answer some questions for me. Would that be okay?" she asked as she placed her clasped hands in front of her on the desk.

She had a kind smile on her face the whole time she was speaking, making me feel slightly more relaxed, but when she asked me if I was okay with her doing more tests on me I looked at her in confusion. No one had ever asked me if I was okay with someone doing something to me before, they had just kind of... done it, without concern for me and my opinion. What would happen if I said 'no?' Would she perform those tests on me anyway, even when I didn't agree to them? That sounds like something the Leftens, or more specifically Natalie, would do. She would always do things like that; she'd ask to cut my hair and then after I'd tell her I liked it this length and to leave it as it is she'd get a pair of scissors and just start hacking away at it. She usually left me with some weird lopsided pixie cut which I'd have to leave to grow out a bit before I could even it up.

I looked up at Jax for help on how I should answer her question. When he noticed my unease, he smiled a small reassuring smile down at me as he nodded his head in encouragement. I turned back to the doctor and copied his actions, trusting in him that he would keep me safe.

"Perfect" Doctor Tessler stated with a smile as she stood up and walked over to the bed on the other side of the room. "Alpha if you could just place her down here, then I'll begin with her physical examination".

It was a long process and if I was being honest I zoned out for most of it. After Jax had placed me on the examination bed the doctor had asked him to leave the room so that she could begin with her tests. He didn't look pleased with her request and made it clear to both myself and the doctor that he would be right outside the door if either one of us needed him. If I was being completely honest, I wasn't particularly a fan of the arrangement either, but between Jax's reassurance that he would be right out the door and his obvious trust in the doctor I calmed down enough to get through the examination.

So what do you think?
Please LIKE and COMMENT! It would really make my day!

So what do you think?Please LIKE and COMMENT! It would really make my day!

My recommendation today is...
Blood Alpha by @Mimic-My-Howl