Chapter 9

With the role now up for grabs, the three boys all looked at each other. The two that weren't Drew began a yelling match, while Drew approached them to make his case, only to have his teacher put a hand on his shoulder.

"Drew, you can't forfeit your position since its a speaking role."

It was an odd feeling when he heard those words uttered to him. He wasn't disappointed but yet it almost made the weight on his shoulder almost seem heavier now, it was like his importance didn't feel real until that moment which managed to put a smile on his face and put the thought of every negative thing to the side.

His inner entertainer was awakened and he was going to steal the show in front of everyone. How bad could it be though he thought, knowing that he wouldn't be the only boy that was playing a girl since they were all obligated. He thought to himself as the boys seemed to come to an agreement and walked over to the teacher, to finalize it.

When the dust settled the two boys and the three girls all stood beside each other. They were then told about their outfits and what they needed to wear then finally the rehearsal began. All of it went swimmingly and then it was Drew's turn. He took centre stage as all eyes turned to him. It was now or never as he channeled his inner southern belle, and again everyone watched on as their jaws dropped. The teachers were blown away but the students, were both confused as well as amazed.

No one said anything though as they continued with the story and the next thing he knew the rehearsal was over and everyone was packing up their stuff and heading out. Leaving him alone like usual, he pushed open the doors of the school and was greeted by the sun welcoming him. It had been overcast for the last two weeks, yet now the sun was warming everything back up and Drew felt like it was a sign.

Walking with a confident stride, he headed home and swung the door open. Brooke smiled at the sight of her son as he actually seemed to be generally happy for once. Going right to his room he was excited and needed to share the joy with someone else, as he pulled out his phone and looked up Celia's name. That's when he remembered what had happened to her, and it dampened his mood.

Taking a chance he sent her a text, asking if she was okay and waited for an answer that he believed might never come. I shouldn't have left her. He thought to himself as his own guilt overtook him and he was struggling to fight it.

###

The phone went off beside her as she laid in the hospital bed, her body a mess more then usual. She was alone now that everyone had left for the day. Struggling to roll over just enough to get the phone, she managed to move it with her fingertips until she could actually grasp it. She hit the button and it illuminated the screen, and brought the first smile of her day to her face. Seeing his name, almost meant the world to her.

Only having use of one arm, she unlocked the phone and read the short text message. Hey to you too. She said out loud as her finger caught up and finished typing the words. Hitting the send button she couldn't help but smile as she placed the phone over her heart. A few minutes passed until she got a message back asking how she was doing. It hurt to read it and have someone actually worry about her but she wanted, no needed to respond to him. Oh you know just chillin at the hospital, you? She responded while wondering if that would hurt the image that Drew had of her in his mind.

###

When he read the hospital text message, something fired in his brain and he knew something wasn't right. The teachers said it was a broken leg, she should be at home shouldn't she? He thought to himself, before asking her how long she'd be there for.

Only seconds later, he would get his answer and learn that she would be out for the rest of the year. It wasn't what he wanted to hear but there was nothing he could do, she saved him last night and now he had to find a way to repay her.

"I'll visit you."

He said into the abyss as his fingers typed the message, only to receive the usual Don't worry about me text. However he couldn't accept that it would be his goal to see this girl before the new year. Mainly for the fact that he needed to thank her for putting her life on the line for him.

Before he realized what he was doing, he sent another text message that reaffirmed his position in seeing her.

###

On the other side of the conversation the message came in and she could feel herself blush, a feeling that was all to rare to her and one she didn't know how to handle. She started to laugh, not knowing why, there was nothing funny or anything, just his words alone had unlocked something in her to make her smile like an idiot out of excitement.

Yet like him and the play, she had doubts about him seeing her, wondering if this would put a barrier between them if he saw how broken her body actually was. Not knowing what to do she accepted but only with a simple Okay and nothing more as she moved again to put her phone back on the table beside her.

She laid their in the darkness of the room and stared up at the ceiling tiles counting them one last time as she could feel herself falling asleep, dreaming of a brighter future one that either contained Drew in it or not.