Chapter 9

(Media picture of Maddison)

-edited-

Maddison POV

I wake with my heartbeat in sync with my breath, I can feel my bare skin underneath the blanket, but no Corey. I sit up and I catch  the curtains flowing due to the light breeze of the coming night. That was probably Corey's only exit to prevent suspicion. He's smart when it comes to being sneaky, but not for school... sometimes.

I get dressed, and leave Corey's room, I don't know where he is but the sound of laughter comes from the kitchen immediately grabbing my attention. It was my mom, Francine, and Mimi. Mimi looks at me and I know there's no escaping and I walk into the kitchen, and they were all catching up so I sat on the stool next to Francine and they all just stared at me.

"Now what do you want little missy." Francine asks, "We are having a adult conversation, go join Corey on the beach." She says, I kind of smile at how she treated me like a child, but I have no problem meeting Corey at the beach. The salty air and a calm night is like a scene straight out of a movie, but a perfect time to just relax and be together.

I stop by my room, I haven't thought about my phone since Keelan called. I don't know whether it's dead or alive, but frankly I don't care, because Corey and Wordscapes is all that's on my mind at the moment being.

As I walk on the sand the glimpse of the quarter moon shown brighter than anything else in the night sky. I don't know if I should stay here and admire or go look at the water front and see if I can find Corey on the shore line.

I start walking, and the sound of the waves crashing on the ocean, the birds squawking as they soar across the sky. The night putting asleep the day. I watch as the moon shine on the ocean surface, the wind rocking the waters as the reflection dances on the sea. I love this. I sit on the sand and watch the water wash up on my toes I take myself into the night.

"Hey." I turn around and see Corey. His voice was husky, yet soft and sweet. I don't know how long he's been standing there, but I'm happy he has said something.

"Hey." I say back. He took a seat next to me on the ground and kisses my cheek. Like as cheesy as I am I lean on his shoulder as he gradually put his arm around me.

"So this is us?" He asks.

"I guess it is." I smile.

We don't say anything we just waited until the night was black with little white dots sprinkled across the sky. He'd brush my arms with his fingers and pull me closer with every small gust of wind. "I forgot what lots of stars look like in the sky, so bright before disappearing into the city lights." He says. I felt his head come off my head and I know he was looking at me so I looked back at him. "You wanna see something amazing, well Mianne wanted to show you but I think I want to show you instead since I stumbled upon it." He stood up and pulled me up with him. "You're going to be just as shocked as me, but I do feel like walking because I really want you to see this."

I kind of tilt my head. My brain fixed to ask questions, but Corey had already started moving. "Ok." I whisper to myself as I follow him.

I wanted him to come back for me so I walked slowly, and he got half way to the barn when he realized I wasn't behind him. When he saw that I didn't want to walk  alone, he happily yet reluctantly came back for me. As he stood by my side, his hand reached for mine and our fingers latched in a unbreakable link. With our hands still locked, he placed his arms around me onto his shoulder. We walk slowly, kind of quietly. But I liked it, it made me feel happy and safe.

We arrived at the stables, all that was heard of was the low grunts of the horses, and their hooves touching the ground beneath the hay. I walk over to Yellow Jacket, and I know Corey was trying to stop me from seeing her yet after about two minutes of scratching her jaw, I noticed a smaller horse feeding from her.

"Surprise." Corey says. "Maddison meet, Arson, son of Yellow Jacket and..." I look at him, and he smirks. "Black Jack." I look at him, and he knows that for some reason every year Black Jack managed to impregnate almost every mare except Yellow Jacket, this is her first foal.

"Oh my lord. It took long enough." I say as I open the stall. Corey stood closely by as I reached for the baby. "What's his name again?" I ask.

"Arson." He says. I look at Corey and he looks so happy.

"Arson, I like it." I say.

"Me too." He commented.

It was a small silence before our names were called from the beach house, dinner was ready and they couldn't eat without us, but we ourselves were hungry so we didn't waste time leaving the stables home. 

We walk in the house and I want to say I smell lasagna, I'm pretty positive but it wasn't what I remember them making.

We all sat at the circular table, once we started eating it was quite but I kept seeing Mianne looking back and forth between me and Corey, he noticed too.

"What's going on?" Francine asks. We look at her all caught off guard. "What is going on?" She asked again.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"Something off."

"Off how?" Corey asked.

"Off like something that me and Wendy don't know about."

My mom lifts her head and was now listening in on the conversation. "Mom what are you talking about? Is it because it's quiet?" Corey asked her.

"That too." She said quietly.

"I'm going to guess it's because dinner is amazing and inappropriate to talk with your mouth full." I tell her, but she brushes me off, flinging her hand as I'm a nagging fly.

"Do you notice it Wendy?" She asked my mom.

My mom looked around. "I've noticed you've disrupted the table. Quit with the little dramatic tension I want to eat in piece." My mom got up and went to get more food, and dinner wasn't lasagna by the way, it was spaghetti meatballs with Italian rolls.

"Mianna what is going on?" She asked.

"Are you ok Fra-"

"Maddison why is Keelan calling me?" My mom asked as she held up her phone it was a picture of me and Keelan. I start eating again. "I know you heard me."

"I don't know mom, I didn't have my phone because I've been sleeping all day."

She looked at me kind of disappointed. "I see your phone in your back pocket." She shook her head and answered the phone, I wanted to slam my face into the spaghetti. "Yea, she's just eating." She tells him. "He says that he want to talk to you." She tells me.

"Well tell him I'll call him later." I say biting into the Italian roll.

She repeated what I said I continued to eat only breathing through my nose. "He said no you want." But I only shrug my shoulders because I know I won't, he knows I won't, but my mom didn't need to know that I won't. "Come take the phone Maddison and talk to him." I sighed and got up avoiding looking at Corey.

I grabbed the phone from my mom and smiled fake like. "Take a hint." I say into the phone before hanging up.  My mom looked confused but I walked back to my seat.

"I knew there was a problem." Francine said triumphantly. I kind of glare at her.

My mom lightly touched my shoulder. "What's wrong honey?" She asked.

"Nothing. I just don't want to talk to him." I say.

"But you said take a hint. What was that all about?"

I take one last bite of my food. "I'm just going to go to bed early, see you guys in the morning." I said, from the corner of my eyes I can see them all look at Corey.