// 22 \\

Sphinx's POV

I laid on me and Aryn's bed watching 'Scarred' as I waited for Aryn to come back with the munchkin. 

I looked down at my watch and saw that it was almost 11 o'clock. 

"Where the hell is she?" I thought out loud. 

I pulled out my cell phone and it immediately started ringing. 

My eyes widened and I couldn't help but laugh. 

Aryn always says that I have psychic powers and that I can sense when my phone is gonna ring. 

Guess sometimes she's right. 

"Hello?" I said, trying to keep the laughter out of my voice. 

"Sphinx!" Someone yelled. 

I scrunched my eyes in confusion, trying to figure out who the voice belonged to. 

"Who is this?" I asked. 

"It's Matt." The voice said quickly. 

I figured out who it was and I nodded. 

"Hey what's up, Matt." I asked, relaxing back into my seat. 

"Sphinx, it's Aryn! She's been in an accident! I need you to get down to Huntington Beach Hospital as soon as you can. Zacky is already on his way with the kid." Matt said quickly, his voice laced with pain. 

"What?" I whispered. 

The words that Matt was saying weren't making any sense. 

Aryn hasn't been in an accident. 

She's picking up Zachary and she'll be home any minute. 

"No. She's on her way home. She just ran out to pick up Zachary." I said. 

"Sphinx. I need you to listen to me, bro. Aryn has been in an accident, and she's hurt real bad. I need you to get in your car and drive over to the hospital. We're all gonna be there." Matt said again. 

His voice was firm and full of authority, but the pain behind it was trying to push through. 

"Ok-okay. I'm, uh, I'm on my way now." I said, quickly standing up. 

I closed my phone shut and looked at the bed. 

The covers were still rumpled on Aryn's side of the bed, and I could smell the faint scent of her perfume that lingered even though she wasn't here. 

An accident. 

Aryn's been in an accident. 

My Aryn. 

It doesn't make any sense. 

I jumped off the bed, ignoring the fact that I suddenly got light headed and I rummaged around for my keys. 

"Where the fuck did I put you!?" I yelled at nothing in particular. 

I saw the keys on the floor by my shoes and I picked them up, shoving my feet in my shoes. 

The ride to the hospital was a blur. 

All I remember was pulling into the E.R. parking lot and jumping out of the car. 

I rushed through the halls of the emergency room until I got to the reception desk. 

There was nobody there. 

How could there be nobody there?! 

"Hello? Hello?!" I yelled loudly. 

"Sir, there's no need to yell. What can I do for you?" An older woman asked. 

"My girlfriend was in an accident and I need to know her condition and where she is." I said quickly, my words jumbling together. 

"Sir, I'm sorry but I'm only allowed to give family members that classified information." She said. 

"God dammit!" I yelled, slamming my hands on the counter. 

She visibly shook and I could see the fear in her eyes. 

But that didn't matter to me. 

Aryn is what matters. 

"Sphinx!" Someone called. 

I turned around and there was Matt. 

I ran over to him only to see that the hallway and waiting room was full of Aryn's friends. 

I searched the room frantically, but I came up empty. 

"Where's Zachary? Where is he?" I asked loudly. 

"Dude you need to calm down or the hospital is gonna call security and have you thrown out. Zachary is fine. Jimmy took him down to the cafeteria so he wouldn't get bored." Zacky said. 

I looked over at him as I tried to keep my composure. 

"How did you find out she was here? What happened?" I asked. 

"The hospital called me. Apparently I'm listed as one of Aryn's emergency contacts. Guess it's been ages since she's updated that." Zacky said with a small smile. 

It was juvenile and completely stupid, but I had to restrain myself so I didn't jump him. 

Aryn is my girlfriend.  

I should of been the one to receive a call, not him. 

I took in a deep breath, trying to calm myself. 

"What happened?" I asked again. 

"Drunk driver. Ran a red light and was swerving all over the road. Slammed Aryn from behind and sent her swerving into a busy intersection. A truck couldn't stop and smashed into the driver's side of the car." Zacky said. 

"She's in critical condition, and it doesn't look good." Matt said. 

I looked over at him and his eyes were hard. 

He was angry. 

Hell, we all are. 

But behind that anger, there's unmeasurable pain. 

The pain of seeing someone you grew up with and care about, hurting. 

I looked down, not being able to handle everything that was happening. 

This is too much. 

This wasn't supposed to happen. 

Not to Aryn. 

"Inxy!" I heard a small voice yell. 

I looked up and saw the little man running towards me. 

I plastered a smile on my face as he threw himself into my arms and wrapped his arms tight around my neck. 

I hugged him tightly to my chest, not wanting to let him go. 

"Hey little man. Did you get some good food from the cafeteria?" I asked. 

"Yeah Inxy. Uncle Jimmy got me brownies." He said excitedly. 

"Brownies? Aren't you lucky. You never eat sweets this late at night." I said, sending a pointed stare at the guys. 

"I know, huh. Shh, Inxy. You can't tell mommy. She'll make me give it back." Zachary whispered even though we could all hear him. 

Any other time I would've laughed. 

But I couldn't force myself to do it. 

Not in these circumstances. 

I took in a deep breath and tried to control the burning in my eyes. 

"It'll be our secret. But just this once, okay?" I asked. 

He nodded excitedly and started eating his brownie. 

I rubbed his back as he chewed happily on his chocolate treat. 

I heard distant footsteps getting closer and we all turned towards them. 

A doctor in blue scrubs walked slowly over to us, pulling his mask down as he came and stood in front of us. 

"Are you the family of Aryn Michaels?" He asked.