Pack Hierarchy and Other Werewolf Rankings

Start from the beginning

They act as the voice of the pack to the Inner Council as they are the closest in rank to the rest of the pack. They act as mediators during disagreements, messengers between the Inner Council and the pack and counsellors to the rest of the pack. They also have the responsibility to mediate and negotiate with the allies and sometimes, even the enemies of the pack. They risk their own lives in doing so but it is their duty to make sure the important information reaches to those who need to know it. The Upsilon (Spies/Scouts) and Mu (Peacekeepers) of the pack answer directly to the Deltas.

The Deltas are in training to be the next Beta. After the training is complete, they may move to become the Beta or choose to remain a Delta. If the Beta of the pack is removed from the rank, steps down, changes rank, is incapacitated, or leaves the pack, the Delta may become the new Beta on Alpha's request.

It is also a Delta's job to welcome the newcomers into the pack and make them feel comfortable and at home in their new pack. Those holding this position must be agile, patient and have an even temperament while speaking with other packs. The Delta also trains their chosen Mu to take their place when they change ranks or are incapacitated.

High Rankings

Outside of the Inner Council, the following are considered high rankings in the pack.

Epsilon (Guardian) {ε}

Usually one to three, they are proven for their strength and skill within the pack. This honour is only bestowed on those warriors of the pack who are older and more experienced. They should have at once been either a Zeta, Eta or Iota of the pack. They are expected to be trained in the skills of peace and fighting. Though they should only resort to violence when peaceful persuasion fails.

Zeta (War General) {ζ}

Usually one, they are the older warriors with a long history of loyalty and reputed training in battle. They take direct orders from the Alpha in case of a war. They lead the army and make plans for the war. They are also responsible for training new recruits for the position of Eta. They also train their chosen Eta to take their place in future when the need arises.

Usually, there is only one Zeta but depending on the populace of the pack, there can be as many as three.

Eta (Warriors) {η}

There are several warriors in the pack. A minimum of one-third of the pack has to be warriors. They are led by Epsilon or Zeta during skirmishes or wars. But they may take orders from any other higher ranks if given. The order from the Alpha is above all.

Theta (Lead Medic) {θ} & Iota (Medic) {ι}

There is usually one Theta and two to eight Iotas, depending on the populace of the pack. They are the medics of the pack, knowledgeable in herbology. They have a vast knowledge of what plants and other natural resources will help cure and heal others.

Kappa (Lead Hunter) {κ} & Lambda (Hunter) {λ}

There are one to two Kappa and four to twelve Lambda, depending on the populace of the pack. They lead the pack hunts upon the orders of the Alpha, Beta or Zeta. Kappas are usually in charge of leading the hunt for runaway criminals, missing pack members, potential threats or other persons of interest to the pack. 

Lambdas are the ones who actually carry out the hunt, sometimes alongside the Kappa and other times, under the guidance of the Kappa. Ultimately, Kappas and Lambdas are the team responsible for finding whoever the Alpha wants to be found.