Chapter 2

Nico had ended up on top of the train for the rest of the ride, don't ask how he got up there. As soon as it arrived in Hogsmead, he jumped off and started heading towards the carriages before the doors even opened.

He was the first person to get to the castle and because of that he ended up hiding in a dark corner of the Entrance Hall watching as students of all ages flooded into the school laughing and talking to each other. Nico took note of the different colored ties, mentally pairing them with the information about the school given to him by Hecate.

As the last of the students trickled into the Great Hall, Nico relaxed a bit. He didn't want to be here. He wanted to be back at camp in his cabin with his boyfriend cuddling under the blankets until Jason barged in to embarrass Nico by claiming (very loudly) that he was there to protect his innocence. As if he still had it, Nico snorted to himself. Hey, they had been dating for almost a year and their lives were almost always in danger, both of them wanted to live life to its fullest.

Besides, it was perfectly legal. It is only illegal if one partner is under 16 and the other is four years older or more. Nico is 15 and Will is 17. Deal with it.

Nico was knocked out of his thoughts by Professor Grubly Plank leading the first years into the castle. The group was met by Professor McGonagall. The strict teacher surveyed the group and turned to the temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher.

"Where is the new exchange student?"

"I'm sorry, I looked but I couldn't find him anywhere-"

"I'm right here." Nico said, stepping out of his comfy little corner.

The first years along with the two adults started at his sudden appearance. McGonagall raised an eyebrow at him.

"Well, follow me first years, Mr. Di Angelo."

Nico followed, staying at the back of the group. He completely zoned out during the teacher's speech, it wasn't like he didn't know this stuff already.

He started to sense ghosts coming towards them and quickly slipped away to head them off. Sadly, it was fairly easy to leave unnoticed because he wasn't that much taller than the eleven year olds.

He soon came across a group of ghosts chatting about the new school year and stepped in front of them. Some saw him but others, like Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, didn't and tried to keep going but bumped into Nico. The entire collection of ghosts gasped.

"Do any of you know who I am?"

It was silent for a moment before the Grey Lady floated forward.

"Greetings Lady Helena." Nico said with a small bow.

This gesture brought a smile to the young woman's face.

"And greetings to you, your Majesty."

The rest of the ghosts looked confused but the two paid them no mind.

"Lady Helena, please pass the word to any ghosts that may know who I am to treat me as they would any other student as I'm not supposed to let them know who I am or what I am. Now, I have to get back before I'm missed."

"Of course Mr. Di Angelo, I hope to speak with you again soon."

He smiled minutely and slipped back to where the first years were just in time for McGonagall to step back out of the Great Hall.

"They're ready for you now."

Her eyes swept over the group of kids once more before opening the doors and leading them in. As soon as Nico went in, he stepped into a shadow off to the side to wait for his turn.

Once all the first years were sorted, the son of Hades stepped forward into the light of hundreds of floating candles, walking straight down the middle of the hall. The entire Hall immediately broke out in whispers. McGonagall spoke over them.

"This year we have an exchange student. Please welcome Mr. Nico Di Angelo."

He made sure his mental barriers were up before sitting on the stool. Please don't flip out, he thought as the hat landed on his head. Slowly, he let the hat into his head. It started quivering slightly but thankfully said nothing more than his house.

"GRYFFINDOR!!!"

He slid off the stool, handed Professor McGonagall the sitting hat and silently made his way to the table of red and gold. Dumbledore stood and started his speech. Nico was just playing with his lip ring, not paying attention, until there was a small but noticable cough from one of the teachers. The headmaster faltered but continued. Nico was listening for it the next time the teacher coughed.

The woman was hard to look at. Dressed head to toe in pink, she stuck out like a sore thumb at the head table as all the other teachers were dressed in darker colours. She was a short, stubby woman with beady eyes and many rings adorned her thick fingers.

"Thank you headmaster, for those kind words of welcome."

Her voice was high and girlish. Nico instantly disliked her.

He once again tuned out, not seeing the look of disdain she cast his way about halfway through. He only payed attention when the food appeared on the tables, smiling slightly as he heard all the first years gasp. Their eyes were wide with wonder, taking in everything around them.

"You're not surprised?" A boy near Nico asked him.

The boy had a strong Irish accent and sat next to a dark skinned boy.

"No, at my camp we have stuff similar to this except you just tell the plate what you want and it appears. Same with the cups."

"Your camp?"

"It's where I go for my education. All the kids there have ADHD or dyslexia or both. Being a camp, it's more interactive, for those who can't sit still for hours on end in a classroom."

The dark skinned boy laughed and nudged his friend.

"Hey Seamus, maybe you should go to the camp. The only time you're completely still is when your taking a nap!"

Nico grabbed a pomegranate and started peeling it as the two boys bickered a bit.

He ended up talking with Seamus and the other boy, Dean, for the rest of the meal. When it was over, they showed him the way to Gryffindor tower. Up in the boys dorm, there were six beds.

Nico went over to the one with his black trunk at the foot. He ran his hand over the small golden sun design and opened it up. The son of Hades rummaged through the contents of the trunk and a moment later pulled out a big orange hoody. He took off his aviator jacket, put on the sweater and inhaled. It smelled like Will. Like strawberry fields, summer and the infirmary.

It was much to big for him but it made him feel safe and warm. If he closed his eyes he could almost imagine he was with Will.

Ignoring the other boys, Nico climbed into bed, pulled the curtains closed, and curled up, almost instantly entering the realm of Morpheus.