Chapter 5

I almost didn't recognize him at first. He was clean shaven and dressed rather properly. He stood with a lit cigarette hanging loosely from his thin lips, taking drags from it every now and again. I didn't know what to do.

He didn't notice me, but he began walking in my direction. I turned quickly and entered a small phone booth and pretended to dial a number.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him get into a black car and drive away. my body finally relaxed and I regained a normal breathing pattern.

Still unsure of what he was doing in London, I exited the phone booth and bumped into someone, knocking them to the ground.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. I didn't even see you there." I reached down to help the man up.

"It's alright Kaylie, no harm done." he chucked.

"Niall?" I reached up and pushed his sunglasses up to reveal two bright blue eyes looking at me. "I'm so sorry." I felt my cheeks get warm in embarrassment.

"No worries, where were you headed in such a rush?"

I exhaled. "Just out for a walk."

"Mind if I join?"

I nodded and began walking again. The air was cool, and winter was approaching rapidly. The town was already beginning to be decorated for Christmas.

As if reading my thoughts, Niall spoke, "Any special plans for Christmas?"

"Not sure yet." I stuffed my hands in my pockets. "Are you going home for Christmas?" I asked, recalling him telling me about his family there.

"Yeah, I like to see my mum on the holidays." He let out a small chuckle. "It's nice to go home every now and again."

I nodded, as if agreeing with him. In all actuality, I hadn't been 'home' in a long, long time. But I wouldn't tell him that, I wouldn't tell anyone that.

We walked another block in silence.

"Do you want to come over? I want to show you something." I asked after another block.

Niall looked at me and smiled. "I would love to."

-----

"Sorry about the mess." I muttered, closing the door behind Niall.

"I like it," he said looking around, "it's lived in." I laughed at his comment and took out two tea bags and two mugs, leaving the water to boil.

"This is what I wanted you to see." I called over to him. he shuffled toward me slowly. My heart rate increased as he closed the distance between us. I pulled out a photo album from my bookshelf, placing it on the table. Niall sat beside me, looking at the book between us. I gestured for him to open in.

"Is this your mum?" He asked, flipping through the pictures.

I nodded. "Yeah, that was her."

"Was?"

"She died a couple years ago." I replied lowly.

"Is that why you're in London? For a fresh start?"

I didn't like how easily he could guess things about me. It was like he could see right through me sometimes. I nodded

"Come home with me for Christmas." He said rather than asked.

"And what? Meet your family?"

"Why not?" He placed his hand on top of mine.

"I don't know Niall." I trailed off unsure how to respond.

"What don't you know?" His eyes locked with mine, taking my breath away.

"What if they don't like me?"

"They'll love you." His response was almost instinctive.

"How can you be so sure?" I raised my eye brows.

"Because I know they will." Niall replied, inching his face closer to mine.

"Oh really now?" I moved closer to him.

"Yeah." Now we were millimeters away from one another. My heart was beating in my ears, thumping out of my chest. The tea kettle's squeals caused both of us to jump back. My face turned pink.

I snapped back into reality and got up to fill the mugs with tea. When u brought the cups to Niall, he looked at me in a way no one ever had.

"What are you looking at?" I giggled.

"Maybe I'll tell you one day, but not today." He lifted the mug to his lips and I watched him drink his tea slowly.

And as he drank, I fell in love with him. I didn't know it at the time, but that was the moment that changed it all.