Love - Evelyn Dawn Carlyle

A/N: Before you start reading, I would like you to know that this is a timeline-like one shot (a collection of important memories that lead up to my "Safe" one shot.)

Anne cradles the quiet newborn in her arms, slowly meandering around the new Carlyle home. Anne's bare feet patter on the wooden floor while humming a soft tune to calm the child. The small baby looks up at her mother, inquisitive yet tired. Her crystal blue eyes, which she got from her dad, flutter close and a yawn escapes her tiny lips. Anne smiles down at her child and sits down on the nearby chair. She caresses the infant's hair-covered head, small curls bouncing back into place.

She wouldn't trade anything for these tender moments with her daughter. When Anne and Phillip had discovered that they were expecting, it was one of the happiest moments of their lives. But nothing, not even that moment, could top when Anne first held her baby girl and saw her perfect little face. Phillip was no different, even shedding tears as he held his child. And despite the sleepless nights and difficult days, the two loved Evelyn and that would never change.

Anne's thoughts are interrupted by the front door opening to reveal a very tired looking Phillip. He makes eye contact with her and smiles. After taking off his outdoor attire, he walks over and plants a gentle kiss on Anne's lips. Anne leans forward, resting her forehead on his chest, exhausted as well.

"How is she?" He whispers in her ear, looking down at the baby that is still cradled in her arms.

"She's good. Definitely worn out. Spent most of the day screaming," Anne says with a soft chuckle, her voice rough from the lack of sleep.

"How about you let me take her and put her in the cradle. You need a break, my love." Anne resigns, handing their first-born over to her husband. He disappears into the nursery quietly, leaving Anne in silence.

After a minute, he comes back in and lies down on the couch, gesturing her to join him. She does, pressing her head to his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. Her arms snake around his waist, pulling him close. He covers himself and his tired wife with the nearby blanket and they fall asleep together, only to be woken up two hours later by the crying child.

~~~~

It has been slightly over a year since the Carlyle family have welcomed their child, Evelyn Dawn Carlyle, and they are happier than ever. Anne and Phillip watched as she grew a head of crazy curls and how her spunky personality started to show. And slowly but surely, her little legs started to take small strides of their own.

"She's so close Anne!" Phillip exclaims, watching his daughter teeter back and forth on her two stubby legs. He holds out his arms and beckons for the child to walk to him. The toddler giggles, her mop of dark brown curls, that are identical to her mother's, swaying with her jaunty movements. "Come on Ev! Come on!"

Evelyn smiles a toothy grin and waddles slowly over to her father, pausing halfway to regain her balance. Phillip wraps her in a large hug and twirls her around happily, her little dress billowing. After he stops spinning, Anne pulls her family into a hug of her own with a wide smile on her face.

"You did it, baby!" Anne exclaims, running a hand through Evelyn's mop of curls. Anne places many kisses on her daughter's cheek, causing her nose to scrunch up just like her mother's does. Evelyn giggles and claps her hands together repetitively. The couple laugh at their daughter as Phillip places her back on the floor to crawl around.