Safe - Evelyn Dawn Carlyle

This one shot was requested by RachelNataniaNithiar. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Evelyn pulls the brush through her brown curls, the teen girl in the vanity mirror echoing her every move. Underneath her breath, Evelyn hums an all to familiar tune that is often heard in the Carlyle household ("The Greatest Show"). Setting down the brush on the white vanity, Evelyn wanders over to her open window. The springtime breeze blows into the room, causing her purple curtains to flutter outward. Kneeling down, Evelyn rests her chin in her hand propped up on the windowsill. Silently observing the street below, Evelyn sighs contently.

Suddenly, a voice from downstairs cuts through the peaceful silence."Ev! Please come out here and help your father set the table." Anne yells, catching the attention of her fourteen year old daughter. "Coming Mom!" Evelyn yells back as she scrambles to her feet, almost falling in the process. Skipping every other step on the stairs, Evelyn appears in the dinning room in a matter of seconds. "Whoa there!" Phillip exclaims with an over exaggerated, surprised expression on his face. Evelyn giggles, grabbing the plates from her father's hands.

"So . . ." Evelyn starts slowly after setting the table and sitting down in her respective chair. "So what?" Anne says, a smirk playing across her lips. She is fully aware of what her daughter is asking about. The circus. Evelyn can't see her mother's telling expression because Anne's back is turned, preparing the food for dinner with the help of her husband. Evelyn sighs in disappointment as she messes with the frayed table cloth. "Well . . . Remember how I was asking last year about joining the circus with you guys?" Evelyn pauses, waiting for one of her parents to reply. Silence.

"Remember that last year you said that when I turned 14 I could join?" She presses onward. She looks up expectantly at her parents who had turned around to look at her. Phillip has his arm wrapped around his wife's waist and Anne is leaning into him. Both of their faces hold sympathetic looks. A sad look covers their daughter's face in response. The couple stand and look at their daughter for a split second before breaking into wide smiles. Evelyn jumps up excitedly, her words failing her. Anne and Phillip laugh at their daughter's wide eyes and gaping mouth.

"Y . . you . . .  REALLY!!" Evelyn finally exclaims. She runs and wraps her arms around her parents, tears in her eyes. She pulls back out of the hug, shaking with excitement. "Yes Ev. Your father talked to Mr. Barnum and they agreed to let you join. Although, your father needed quite a bit of persuasion from your truly." Anne laughs, elbowing her husband softly in the ribs. Phillip chuckles, responding with. "There is just so much danger involved in trapeze work. I just don't want to see you hurt Ev." Phillip looks at his daughter. Despite the excitement for her shinning in his eyes, Evelyn picks up a hint of worry as well.

"I promise I'll stay safe Father." Evelyn says, coming back in for another hug. "Thank you so, so, so much!" The Carlyle family then sits down, ready to enjoy another one of Anne's signature home cooked meals.

~~~~

Walking briskly next to her parents, Evelyn chatters excitedly as the family walk down to circus tent. "I can't wait!! Do you think Lettie will be excited to have me apart of the dance routine? I already know all the dances from Nathan so I don't need to worry about learning them." Hand intertwined in Phillip's, Anne catches her daughter's attention. "Calm down there honey. I am more than positive that Lettie is going to ecstatic, just as you are." Phillip nods in agreement and adds onto the girls' conversation. "She loves you as much as we do."