Tremors: Part 1 - Anne x Phillip

April 16, 1906

~~~~

Anne lays on the small bed, curled up against Phillip's side as she attempts to study the book in front of her. The spacious train compartment the couple is sharing shutters as the train Mr. Barnum bought presses farther into the night. Anne groans in frustration, drawing Phillip's attention from the window framing the blurred landscape. "You okay hun?" He questions, looking down and gently pushing a loose curl behind her ear in order to study her expression. She nods, not elaborating on her exasperation. Phillip dismisses her groan politely, returning his gaze to the night outside of the velvet-curtained window. After a few minutes, Anne gets up and forcefully tosses her book onto the small table. "I can't read properly because of this stupid train," Anne exclaims, sitting back down on the edge of the blanket-covered bed.

Phillip laughs at Anne's childish behavior. "You're going to have to get comfortable with it." He says, shrugging his shoulders and resting his head on the rattling wall of the train car. Anne nods while sighing, knowing that he was speaking the truth. "I mean this is going to be our new home for a while with the circus traveling around the country. Besides, it can't be that bad. At least I am here." Phillip adds with a sly wink. Anne rolls her eyes, chuckling at his antics. Anne lays back on the bed, resting her head on Phillip's outstretched legs. The two slip into a peaceful silence and Anne starts to doze off while Phillip studies her. He watches how her nose twitches involuntarily and how her face slowly relaxes as she slips out of consciousness leaving a peaceful expression on her face.

A soft knock echoes throughout the cabin, waking Anne from her light slumber. "Coming" She hollers, her voice cracking in the process. She clears her throat and approaches the door, Phillip trailing not far behind. They open the door to be greeted with a very disheveled Lettie, who just crossed between the rattling rail-cars. "Lettie!" Anne exclaims, moving out of the doorway to allow her into their private compartment. Lettie works her way past the threshold of the door. She smooths out her tangled hair and runs a hand through her beard to undo the effects of fierce the wind. "Oh, my. That was quite a journey." She says with a short laugh. Anne and Phillip laugh in response to her, both of them already in their nightclothes.

"What are you doing here this late Lettie? Surely you would be in bed by now. I sure was." Anne questions, adding the last part as an afterthought. Phillip supports Anne's weight as she leans into him sleepily. He wraps his arms around her and rubs her arm affectionately. Lettie gaps, her eyes wide. "I woke you?! I am so sorry Anne." She exclaims, guilt eminent on her face. Anne smiles and reaches out to lay a hand on her arm. "Don't worry. I'll survive." She reassures. Lettie nods with a newfound smile on her face. Anne gestures towards the small sofa sitting snuggly across from the wooden table. Lettie goes over to sit down as Anne and Phillip stand next to the table.

"I came over to tell you that P.T said that we will be stopping in San Fransico tomorrow evening. We will be performing our first show there. We'll probably get there about 10 at night, so make sure to have your stuff packed so we can move into the hotel. I was also asked by P.T to get sleeping arrangments. I am guessing you two will share a room, correct?" Lettie questions, a smile on her face. She's supported the two through their combats with hardship. To see them so happy now brings joy to her world and a smile to her face. Anne and Phillip nod simultaneously, Anne yawning in the process. Lettie then stands up and heads over to the door that connects Anne and Phillip's car to the another performer's car.

"I'll make sure to tell P.T about the sleeping arrangements. Wouldn't want to separate you two now would we?" She laughs, teasing the couple." Good night you two. Sleep well." Lettie says as she bids them farewell. A cold gust of air rushes into the room as she opens the door and makes her way to the other car. Anne shivers and pushes closer to Phillip for warmth. Phillip closes the door quickly after seeing Lettie disappear into the other car. Anne makes her way to their shared bed, stumbling slightly from exhaustion. Despite the fact that they hardly did anything the past few days aboard the train, traveling was quite exhausting.