Shelter: Part 2 - Anne and W.D Wheeler

This one shot was requested by raeraeweaver1. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previously: Anne climbs up the unstable ladder carefully and slips under the warm blankets. Setting her personal blanket next to her mattress, Anne lays down onto the goose-feather pillow. The last thought that fluttered through Anne's mind before she slipped into a peaceful sleep was, 'Thank goodness for selfless people like Baylie.'

~~~~

After months, Baylie walks up to the the adept trapeze artists. Her face holds a grave look and her eyes fill up with tears slowly as she approaches them. Baylie stands below the two, watching their on-going act. Anne swings off of her trapeze bar and grabs her brothers wrists. The small audience that has gathered in the warehouse gasp. W.D swings backwards toward the hand-built wooden platform and unlatches himself from Anne. As he swings back out, Anne steadies herself and gets ready to grab onto the empty bar that is going to swing back at her. Her brother lets go of the one, flips in midair and grabs the trapeze bar Anne previously had.

Baylie gasps at this incredible trick along with the audience. W.D swings safely on the other platform and drops the bar. Anne, with the other bar, swings forward and mimics her brother's actions, flipping as well. Once again, they all gasp. Climbing down the rickety ladder, Anne and W.D head down to give a final bow. A round of applause echos throughout the dusty warehouse. The few spectators come up, shake hands with the siblings and give small tips for the stellar performance.

After the audience leaves, Anne and W.D approach Baylie with wide smiles. Taking notice of her solemn expression, their smiles quickly disappear. "Is there something wrong Baylie?" W.D inquires looking her in the eyes. Baylie nods her head and turns her back to the two. She starts to walk back into the house with her head down, trying to mask the tears rolling down her face. The siblings gather around the small wooden table and sit down as Baylie prepares her herbal tea.

Anne and W.D look at each other, exchanging worried looks. "Children, I got a letter from my dear sister in Boston. She's fallen ill and she has asked me to watch over her children seeing as her husband is off traveling for business." Baylie says, her back is turned toward the siblings. They exchange glances again, this time it was sympathetic. Baylie presses on. "She is asking me to move their permanently in case she. . . she passes on." She turns around and looks at the children.

Tears start to flow slowly down her cheeks. "In order to cover the expenses of moving down there I had to sell the house and warehouse. Even though I sold the house, I don't have enough to bring you two along. I leave tomorrow. I am so, so sorry." Baylie manages to choke out before a sob escapes her quivering lips. Anne stands up, tears in her own eyes, and wraps her arms around Baylie. Anne nuzzles her head into the crook of Baylie's neck. Baylie returns the hug tightly. After they split W.D engulfs Baylie in a hug as well. Slow tears trickle down Anne's face as she watches their interaction.

Over the past few months, Baylie became a maternal figure to the two. The siblings loved Baylie and Baylie loved them. Baylie never had children of her own. When the two teens the stumbled onto her property was, it was the best thing that ever happened to her. Baylie loved to watch them learn the new trapeze skills and honing in on their natural-born talents. She also loved to watch them break out of their shell and learn to trust her gradually.

"I love you two, you know. This is breaking me inside, to leave you my children." Baylie says as Anne approaches the two people she cares for. Tears fall down each one of their faces. Not even W.D tries to hide his tears. "Let us savor the last few hours with one another, dearies." Baylie shakily responds as she walks over to tend to the tea on the hearth.