▪ ■ nine ■ ▪

HEYYYYAAA

Your POV

I have to go pick Aaliyah up from the airport today as she was returning from Calgary.

I begin to drive to the airport. I play my favourite album - Room on Fire by The Strokes (A/N defo listen)

The drive to the airport didn't take long as there is little traffic.

I park up and begin to walk inside, trying to think how I would tell Aaliyah what had been going on.

Shawn was extremely close to Aaliyah. They had this bond that not many siblings had - they told each other everything, and recently had been spending more time together.

This was going to hit her hard.

I go into the arrivals area and see Aaliyah standing with her coach. She had no Wi-Fi in Calgary and won't have any until she's home, so she won't have seen the statement posted.

"Hey Liyah, how are you?" I ask, taking her bag from her.

"I'm good. How is Shawn?"

"I'll tell you in the car hun." We go into the car and begin speaking as we set off. "Shawn didn't want to worry you so that's why he didn't say anything."

"He had surgery right?"

"Yeah." I take a deep breath. "I'm going to tell you this exactly how it happened as that's the best way rather than outline it. A few days ago Shawn had a scan just to double check that his organs were all functioning normally." I begin.

"Yeah"

"That was the day before he left for tour. But basically... well..."

"What? Y/N what happened?" I had to tell her that Shawn almost died.

"The scan showed kidney failure... Shawn had a kidney transplant."

"So he nearly died?" I could sense the distress in her voice.

"He didn't want you to worry so he told us not to tell you..."

"I understand. Thanks for telling me Y/N. But... I... I want to see him."

"I know" I laugh. "We are going there now. He's pretty exhausted still so he's not talkative or anything."

"Okay. Thanks Y/N." We continue to drive and we are at the hospital in ten minutes.

"Let's go." We get out of the car and go into Shawn's ward.

He was still sleeping but as we opened the door, he woke up. They had taken the oxygen mask off him and replaced it with a nasal cannula.

"Hey honey. How are you?" I ask him, stroking his hair.

"It just hurts... they've lowered my pain killers." I lean down and kiss his forehead. Aaliyah gives him a hug. "Lay with me." He tells her and she lies next to him, he keeps his arm around his younger sister protectively.

We sit with him for a little while until the nurse comes in.

"I need to change his plaster and then he can eat something." Shawn hadn't eaten for over a week. He would love it as his weakness will ease off. "Shawn turn this way." They had operated on his left side, so he turned to the right. I helped him as the wound made it hard for him to move.

"Wound isn't infected. That's good." The nurse says. I turn to look at Aaliyah, who had turned around as I think she found it hard to see a surgical wound that big. I did feel sorry for her because of how young she is. The nurse sticks a new plaster on and I help Shawn to sit up in bed.

"That's it... time for you to eat." I pick up the bowl of soup and take a spoonful. He opens his mouth and I put the spoonful in it. I continue feeding him the soup until he stops halfway.

"I... I feel sick." Without hesitation, Aaliyah picks up the sick bucket and holds it against her brother's mouth as he throws up the soup he had eaten moments earlier. I get a wet tissue and wipe the leftover sick from around his mouth.

"Its the codeine for the pain. It'll make you sick." I smile at the poor thing and dispose of the bucket he just threw up into.

His parents then arrive.

"How is my darling?" Karen asks him, stroking his hair.

"A bit better. Just tired."

"We'll let you rest for a while honey. Think you'll be allowed home in a day or two." Shawn smiles at the statement as he had been in hospital for nearly 10 days.

"Aaliyah lets take you home." Manny suggests. She gets up and gives Shawn a hug. Shawn kisses her cheek, stroking her long hair and then they go, leaving me alone with Shawn.

I feel his face and it was a little cold.

"Here, let me get you another blanket." He didn't have anything apart from his boxers on, as the wound was fresh so it was painful to put anything else on.

"Y/N..."

"Yes darling what's the matter?" I put another blanket on over him and hold his hand.

"Just... thank you for all this. You didn't even need to stay with me all week but you did anyways... you took care of me even when I was too tired to speak. Thank you so much."

"It's okay. I'm doing this because I care about you more than you'll ever know. You're my absolute world and I just don't want to risk losing you again. I love you so so much."

"I love you Y/N... can you cuddle me... it hurts again..." I could see the pain plastered on his pale face, so I got into bed and held him in my arms. He burries his head into the crook of my neck to block out the light and falls asleep. I hope he stays asleep as he needed all the rest he could get.

These last 2 chapters have been a bit repetitive but there is a big twist coming arghhh!!