25.

"What are you doing here?", Macy wanted to know bewildered when she found me in the kitchen of her mate's house.

I sighed realizing that my hiding had come to an end.

Honestly I was surprised that nobody had found me sooner, but then again maybe they knew that I could not stomach seeing my baby brother fight.

He's not a baby anymore though.

My wolf reminded me yet again and my shoulders sagged.

She was right. In fact everybody was right. Jamie was one of the legal heirs to the Waterfall pack and if he wanted to be their Alpha, as was his right, then nobody should stand in his way. It was his decision.
However, that did not mean that I could stand at the sideline when Jamie was beaten to a pulp, or at least that was how I imagined things were going. I burried my face in my hands, because I felt so useless.

Yesterday I had been so hopeful when Daniel had informed me that our old pack could be a possibility to avoid the challenge all together. However, today my mate had spoken with Alex and he unfortunately was not so certain of the fact that three quarters of the Waterfall pack would be against their current Alpha.

Werewolves were loyal creatures and as much as I respected and admired them for this feature, I for once wished they would not be as devoted to their Alpha. Especially if this Alpha did not have his packs best interest at heart.

I felt Macy's soft fingers on my arm, wanting to comfort me.

"You know, your brother's actually fighting really good.", Macy told me with a bemused voice.

Instantly I lifted my head and when I saw her smirking at me I wanted to know: "Really?"

Macy nodded her head and then giggled when she explained to me: "Alex wanted to impress me, but unfortunately for him Jamie instantly used his distractedness to land a hard blow."

My eyes widened at Macy's words and now my wolf and I were both curious about our brother's fighting abilities.

"Is Alex okay?"

Macy snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Serves him right for wanting to show off."

When she saw my worried look, she shrugged her shoulders and said: "He's alright, he's ego is just bruised."

I smiled relived at her.

"Do you think Jamie is mad at me for not showing up?", I voiced my greatest worry.

Ever since I had hidden myself in the kitchen I was plagued with a guilty conscience. I, of course, wanted to support my  brother, but I did not know if I could actually handle seeing him being cornered and beaten by someone.

"Of course not, Ellie. I think he understands the best what's going through your head right now."

I nodded my head grateful that my brother did not think I did not believe in him, because I did. I just had a hard time watching someone hurt him.

"What smells so good?", Macy then wanted to know and I giggled when she instantly went to take a closer look at the oven.

"I already wondered why you didn't smell it before with your love for food and all."

"Is this a chocolate cake?", Macy exclaimed beaming from ear to ear.

I laughed at how she was crouched in front of the oven and stared almost as if she was hypnotized by the cake baking in it.

"It's Jamie's favourite and since I couldn't be there to support him I thought I make him his favourite cake.", I explained my rather stupid reason for staying away.