FORTY-EIGHT: AWAKE

Media: Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur

This chapter is to make up for my long disppearance from Wattpad. I hope you guys like it. Also, this book is trending! I'm beyond happy that it's getting so much love. <3  Thank you guys. 

Jared's POV

There was blood dripping into my eyes, blurring my vision as I blinked. I raised a hand to wipe what I could with my battered hands. I was exhausted, sweaty, wounded and in pain. But none of it mattered.

We did it. We ended it all.

I stared at the man dead on the ground under my feet. I glanced at our surroundings, littered with bodies and blood and carnage. I licked my dry and torn lips. It was over. The war I waged against the Ruby Pistols was over. The man who had Coe in a comatose state for two and a half weeks now was dead at my feet. His men were captured, and there was no room left for the Ruby Pistols to make a recovery or to revive themselves. This was the beginning of their end, and I was going to make sure that they never catch a moment's breath to even contemplate the resurrection of their organisation.

I should be feeling the intense relief, triumph and joy overwhelm me. I did it. I punished the men that were responsible for hurting the Family, for hurting Coe. I laid waste to their territories, claiming the life of their head, made sure that the other useful limbs were quick to abandon them or be killed, I ended it all. I should call for a celebration. There hasn't been a moment more hauntingly triumphant than this moment.

But the feelings of triumph came briefly. So very briefly. It bowed out quickly and allowed fear to grip my heart instead.

Now all I could hear was the buzzing in my ear and the thundering of my heart against the silence in the room. What was I doing here instead of being by Coe's side? Truly, what should I be doing that could possibly be more important than being by Coe's side in case he wakes, or worse still, in case he breathes his last?

"Boss? Boss!"

I raised a hand to stop the voice from assaulting my senses. I needed quiet. I needed peace. I needed some space and time to think. I needed to process what it means when Lewis tells me, no, yells at me that the hospital where Coe was at had just called.

"I hear you." I barely managed, my eyes unfocused. Did he die? While I was away from beside him? Did he die? In exchange for the lives I've taken tonight? Did he die? Because of me?

There was a serious look on Lewis' face, the frown between his brows pronounced as he stared at me. I stared back with a sombre look on my face. What do I make of this? Do I want to know what had gone wrong with Coe? I frowned when Lewis' lips twitched into a grin. Hope sparked inside of me. Good news, it must be. It has to be. "Boss. The hospital, they called-"

"Did he-" I couldn't finish my sentence. But I needed to know. I just needed to know if he was alive or not. I need for it to be good news.

"He's fine boss, he woke up!" That dumbass grin he had on his face practically exploded. The shine in his eyes was apparent as he gestured while he spoke excitedly. The look wasn't good on him. Not when he was beaming as blood was smeared across his face and hands, a phone on one hand and a handgun on the other. He looked crazed to say the least, "He's been asking for you, and Heath sir!" He laughed.

A roar of cheer erupted around me. It was deafening. I shivered where I stood.

We didn't even make a peep when we won this war. It seemed like a victory not truly worth celebration, not when it was a forced hand, where we lost many for this moment. Yet, here we were, tens of battered men with smiles on their faces and fists pumped into the air because of the news that one of us, my Coe, was alive. It was as though all the exhaustion had melted away, all the wounds forgotten, all the blood worth it.