FORTY-FIVE: DEFEND

Media: Grenade - Bruno Mars

Coe's POV

"This is really beautiful." I gushed as I took another sip of wine. 

Heath smiled, his hand that was resting on the small of my back moved to cup my side, "I'm glad you like it. We were contemplating if it was a good idea to even bring you here." 

I frowned, turning in his side embrace to look at him, "Why?" My gaze travelled to the man standing behind us. I licked my lips nervously, nodding my head, "Right, I get it. It's still dangerous out there. Who knows who's out to get me right?" I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I do understand how dangerous it is, in theory, but I truly, for the life of me, cannot understand why anyone would be interested to hurt me.

Heath leaned down to kiss the top of my head and I leaned into his body, "We just want to be careful with you. These things are very public and it makes us very vulnerable." 

"Public?" I scoffed, "You almost need to be president to walk through the doors of this museum tonight." I spared a glance at our surroundings again, convinced that it must have depleted our nation's wealth at least by two-thirds to build this amazing place. 

The interior of the floor that we were on looked like an underground tunnel. The length of the floor stretched so far down that I could barely make out what was at the other end of the room. The entire floor was lit up with lights built into the ground, illuminating the room from the bottom up. 

Five crystal chandeliers hung from the rounded ceiling in tasteful fashion. They weren't gaundy and overpowering in the room, but hung humbly instead, adding to the class of the room without attracting all the attention to themselves, instead allowing the works of art on display to shine. 

The room was in shades of light grey and white, accented with warm colours of gold and wood. The smell of the room was impeccable too, a mix of wood with just a very light hint of fragrance in the air. I know how important it was to keep the air and scent of the room controlled in a museum, and this museum's atmosphere pleased me to no end as someone who appreciated the arts. 

But perhaps I may be biased. This was afterall, one of Jared's businesses, and I am a proud lover to my mobster best friend. Anything he did would impress me. Anything. I'm such a sucker. 

"Tonight is for selected guests only, it is afterall, opening night. On regular days, this place will be opened to anyone who would pay to be in here." Heath explained, following after me as I moved to the next artwork. 

I figeted slightly as I felt the same man move together with us, but keeping his distance, "Does he really have to do that?" I muttered under my breath, trying to appreciate the work displayed in front of me, but finding myself frowning even harder instead. 

Heath glanced behind us and chuckled, "Ask him yourself. I told you, there's no point trying to understand him." 

I spun around in Heath's grasp to face Christian with raised brows, "Are you enjoying yourself, Christian?" I asked, only because since the moment Han and him stepped into the establishment, Christian had been plastered behind Heath and I until this very moment, never leaving our side, his glare plastered on my back. 

Han was with Jared, entertaining important guests with a handful of trained men with them, leaving Christian free to trail after me like my very own personal guard. 

I wouldn't complain since he seemed really nice and sincere in protecting me, but come on, we were are a museum, opened to us for the first time. He could spend some time admiring the works with Heath and I at least. But all he seems to be content doing is stare at the back of my head and hope it doesn't spontaneously explode, or hope it does, whatever.