09. The Project

Waking up to the not-so-quiet sound of cars honking at each other in the inevitable New York traffic wasn't how Peter thought he would be starting his Sunday. He blinked at the bright sunlight shining through the half closed blinds, glancing around the dimly lit room.

"I guess May put a cover over us." Peter jumped at the abrupt voice in his quiet living room. He glanced upwards, Caden rubbing sleep out of his eyes only a few inches away.

Peter let out a nervous chuckle, his movements restricted by Caden's arm wrapped around him. He got comfortable in his position again, Caden's warmth plus the blanket a bit overwhelmingly hot but nothing either of them would trade.

"You stayed," Peter acknowledged, happier than he outwardly expressed, his wide smile threatening to blow his cover.

"Well, I had to update my sister on the wonders of Peter Parker's house somehow. She apparently has a huge crush on you," Caden joked, his laughter making Peter's head move on his shoulder. "You actually fell asleep on me so I decided to stay. I didn't want to bother you by waking you up, hopefully you slept well."

"I did," Peter smiled into the blanket covering them. "Thanks for staying, but sorry for kinda forcing you to stay."

Caden gave him a small shrug, wondering if Peter knew that he would never have to be forced to do anything for the boy. He would basically do anything for Peter, he would even volunteer without any questions asked.

"Don't apologize. Trust me, you sleeping was a much better view than the movie... way cuter than murderers. And, I mean that as a huge compliment."

Peter sat upright to narrow his eyes at Caden who loosened his arm around the boy. "So, it's your sister who has a crush on me?" he joked, smirking at Caden's slightly widened eyes.

Caden just shrugged, reaching towards the coffee table to grab his glasses, pulling away his arm from Peter's body. With a blush dusting over his cheeks he looked over to Peter, his lips upturned into a small grin. "So, breakfast? I'll pay."

Peter smiled widely, nodding in agreement. "Yeah, how can I refuse that offer?" He stood up, heading to his room to change out of his clothes before stopping himself. "Well, we are already dressed, should we just go as we are?"

Caden stood up, quickly folding the blanket neatly, glancing up as Peter as he did so. "A little fancy for breakfast," he paused, really wanting to say that it would seem like a date if they dressed this way but going against it, "but sure. Let's go."

-

Settling on a small dinner a block or two away from Peter's apartment, the two sat in a booth  across from each other. After ordering, Peter found himself sitting alone while Caden had gotten up to call his mom quickly.

A vibration in his pocket was the distraction he needed to quit drumming his fingers on the tabletop and pretend to be interested in reading the specials menu over and over and over again. Despite the distraction being an embarrassing text message from May, he was thankful nonetheless.

Saw you two last night cuddling on the couch and now you've disappeared. Peter Benjamin Parker if this is your idea of a secret romance you're not very good at it...

Peter quickly typed back, biting his bottom lip as a blush creeped up his neck and ears.

Peter: Good morning too May uh no we aren't dating but we are at breakfast do you want anything?

May: Thank you genius but I'm alright for now, enjoy your breakfast date!

Peter: ... it isn't