06. The Answer to Most Things

After Jackie got over her laughter fit, which Peter didn't appreciate, and Reese got over his shock, the group moved aside and allowed Peter to jump into the Steele's kitchen. Thankfully, no one else was home besides the group of friends.

For once, Reese was speechless which wasn't that surprising to his two friends. They were practically the same way nights before except Caden was more groggy in his almost sleepwalking state at the late hour.

Jackie grabbed Peter's arm, pulling him into her room. Both of the other boys followed her and the superhero, eager to what she was going to say.

Caden had a slight idea, blushing at the mere thought of it. He hoped it wasn't true, but when Jackie opened her mouth, his silent prayers weren't granted.

"So, just the spider I was hoping would crash onto my fire escape!" she said with a wide smile. She quickly winked at Caden, so fast that he questioned immediately afterwards if it had actually happened.

Peter sighed loudly, rolling his eyes at her despite the fact that she wouldn't be able to see him. "I'm rolling my eyes at you, by the way. Also, why'd you want me to crash and injure practically... well, everything."

Jackie chuckled, moving to wrap an arm around Caden. She managed to do so even though he was almost a foot taller than her.

"My pal Caden here has been having boy troubles," Jackie explained, feeling Caden's wide eyes on her in shock.

Reese, having regained the ability to talk, scoffed, rolling his eyes. "That's an understatement. He likes some guy who obviously likes him back," he shot a glance at Caden, "but they won't do anything about it."

Meanwhile, Peter was in the middle of an internal battle of whether he should jump for joy or weep in disappointment. Like moments before, Peter was stunned like Reese was. His heart started beating quite fast which he only realized once Karen reminded him that it was.

"Besides, it's always thumping in your chest around Caden. Not surprising to me," Karen said, and Peter realized that robots could be judgmental if they pleased.

Peter stammered for a bit, six eyes on him, but he was solely focusing on the bright blue eyes of Caden. "Oh, well..." he was at a loss of words for his crush. "May-Maybe try with something simple but cute?"

"Like what?" Caden instantly asked. It was evident he was listening intently, and Peter wasn't sure whether to be excited or concerned about his seemingly desperate tone.

"Do what you know will be easy — make it Spider-Man related," Peter joked, pointing to Caden's new sweatshirt, web logos creating a pattern on the soft cotton. He then realized how easy and sweet that idea could be. "Confess your feelings using me," Peter told Caden in a serious tone, nodding his head.

Jackie and Reese's eyes both widened. They turned to Peter and then to Caden. "That's a perfect idea!" Jackie exclaimed excitedly. "How did I not think of that earlier?" she quietly added, letting out a huff.

"Yeah, that's actually a pretty great idea, Spider-Man," Reese laughed as the superhero's name came out of his mouth, still surprised he was in the same room as the newest superhero everyone was talking about.

Caden nodded his head for a good while minute, processing the idea. "Okay, yeah. That's an awesome idea. Perfect, actually. Hopefully he'll like it," he spoke to himself, then to his friends, and finally, to Peter. "Thanks, Spidey."

"Well, I am the answer to most things," Peter said, laughing softly. "And, no problem, Caden. I hope everything works out."

"He'll have to commit a crime just to keep you updated," Reese joked, winking in Caden's direction.