03. Smart and Nice

"Hey, guys, how was your night?" May asked Ned and Peter as they strolled into the kitchen the next morning. She sipped her coffee while flipping through the day's newspaper.

Peter looked down at his shoes, smiling at the night's events. "It was, you know, pretty normal," he answered, pulling on a sweater. He quickly packed Caden's Spider-Man sweatshirt carefully into his bag before May could ask any questions.

"Yeah, we didn't do much. It's not like we were out stopping robbers or anything," Ned commented which earned him a look from Peter as they sat down to eat breakfast.

May brought the boys over pancakes, smiling at them. "Well, I sure hope not. That's pretty dangerous, don't you think? Now, eat up."

They obliged, eating the chocolate chip pancakes hungrily. Peter took a drink of his chocolate milk, smiling at his aunt. "So, how was date night?" he asked, smirking a bit.

Ned chuckled, looking at Peter's aunt expectantly. May rolled her eyes at the two, smiling despite the stares. "We both had a nice time," she checked her watch absentmindedly. "No more questions, you two. Peter, I'll see you when I get home from work, alright?"

Peter nodded, smiling up at his aunt. She pulled on her jacket and kissed the top of his head. "Bye, boys!" she called out, waving to them.

"Breakfast was delicious!" Ned replied loudly before she shut the door behind her. He chuckled, nudging Peter with his elbow. "So, May was home late last night..." he said, giving Peter a smirk.

Peter scrunched his nose, sighing at Ned. "Dude, I really don't want to think about my aunt's sex life, thank you very much."

"Oh, I thought you'd be used to it after discussing your own sex life with Caden," Ned shrugged, smiling slightly at Peter who was blushing.

Peter glared at him, walking towards the bathroom. "Shut up," he grumbled. "Hey, do you need a toothbrush? We have, like, a million spare ones here." He peeked out of the bathroom, with his toothbrush in his mouth, to look at Ned.

"I always bring my own, have you never known this?" Ned laughed, taking out a plastic bag from his backpack which contained a toothbrush and his retainer case.

Peter finished up quickly, shutting the door so he could put on his binder then pull on a loose T-shirt over it. He put on a sweater for more layers and gave himself a small thumbs up in the mirror.

-

On their way to school, Ned and Peter joined MJ on the bus. She shut her book to look up at them. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Flash and gave him a warning glance.

"So," she cleared her throat. "Why did you need Caden's address? I didn't want to ask last night, because honestly I didn't care at the time. But, now I do."

Peter gave her a small smile. "I just wanted to pay him a visit... give him back his sweatshirt."

"Really?" She arched an eyebrow at him, smirking. "At midnight?"

"It does get cold sometimes around that area, MJ," Ned added, trying to help out Peter as best as he could. "Especially, you know, around midnight...?"

MJ rolled her eyes, clearly not believing them. "So, you're telling me the boy doesn't have any other warm and comfy Spider-Man sweatshirts he could wear? Peter, don't you say that he has a new one, like, everyday? And, why do you even have his sweatshirt?"