A

January 

6am

I wake up to birds singing outside my window. How can one be so happy so early in the morning? Especially in the bloody morning at 6am. My eyes have trouble adjusting as my body does to. The warmth of my bed traps me in its covers but I force my legs out. 

First day back at school. Oh joy. Sarcasm was intended. 

I drag my legs across the floor. I grunt in response as I open my curtains to heavens blinding light. Why is it so bright? I grab my things and head to the shower where I can cool off. 

On the way, I pass my twin sister, Hannah. She is the definition of popular. Her phones goes off more than a fire alarm and she looks at herself more than a narcissist. We've never been insanely close growing up, we always wanted different things. She wanted pretty and pink while I wanted punk rock and black, She wanted salad while I wanted a beef burger with extra fries. Our personalities clashes quite a bit but I guess that's the benefits of being a twin. 

"Morning dorkus." She chirps as usual. I swear she must be high to be this happy this early in the morning. 

"Morning Barbie." She pokes her tongue out at me as I enter the bathroom. It is empty, thank god. I switch on the shower and wait for the water to heat to its full temperature. While I wait for the shower, I plug in my speaker and blast Simple Plan. My head is immediately in the clouds. I strip out from the shorts I slept in last night and I step into the heat. 

I dry myself and decide to go for a new style this year. Rather than my rag doll hair, I try to use hair gel and work my hands through it to get the right texture/technique. I dress in a plain white shirt and some ripped jeans. Nothing special to be honest. I throw on my black converse and exit the bathroom. 

"Finally, you take so long." Hannah groans at me. 

"Ew, morning breath." I block my nose and she hits me right in the gut. She may be a girl but she definitely got dad's right hook. 

She shoves me off and walks into the bathroom, slamming the door in my face. Girls these days.

I walk downstairs to the smell of freshly baked waffles. My mum is a baker for the local bakery so we always have baking in the house.

My mum wears her purple spotty dressing gown with her hair up in a high bun. She is hard at work so I take the opportunity to sneak a waffle without her noticing. Of course, she already knows what I am about to do so she slaps my hand as if I were a fly in her way.

“Oi, get your dirty hands off.“ I grab one anyway and claw my teeth into it.

My mother grunts and hands me a plate of waffles. “These ones are yours.“ I give her a real guilty look and saunter off to the table. My younger sister, Emerson has a small plate to herself and has her favourite bunny with her.

“Morning Em.“ I place my plate opposite hers.

“Hi Leo.“ She says between mouthfuls.

“Hey, no talking with your mouthful missy.“

“But I was just saying hi.“ She objects. Once again with chewed up waffle in her mouth.

“There it is again.“ She laughs along with me.

Hannah walks in with her new Forever 21 dress on with some black vans.

“You realize that we are just going to school.“ Sure she looks pretty. Ew, why did I call my sister pretty. But seriously, its a place where we have to sit through boring lectures and eat lunch. I would‘ve thought that you would dress for comfort, not for glamour.

“Well for your information, My friends and I have a wardrobe timetable and today is dresses.“ She grabs the last plate of waffles and sits next to Emerson. Emerson has always liked me better than Hannah, simply because I don't continuously try to dress her up in girly outfits and paint her nails shit colours.

“You are joking, right?“  

"Does it look like I am?" She sasses me. I hold my hands out in defense and let her be. I finish the last of my waffles and throw my plate in the dishwasher. Mum has pre-packed our lunches as usual, we insist that we can do it ourselves but seeing as she is the one up the earliest, she feels a need to as she is already in the kitchen. 

"Thanks mum." I give her a  quick hug and kiss on the cheek. I walk back to my room to get my bag ready. It is now 6:40am and school starts at 7:20am. I decide to walk since it was sunny and I had time on my hands. Hannah of course, takes the car since she picks up her entourage everyday. 

"You want a ride?" She asks, politely. 

"I'd rather walk." I admit to her. 

"Fine, suit yourself." She hops in and starts the engine. She backs out and drives down the street faster than a lightning bolt. The sun is slowly making its way into the sky and the clouds part for its arrival. The air is slightly cool so I pull on my black jacket over my arms. The cotton inside immediately has an effect on my temperature and I am warm. I start to walk and drain the world out with Green Day.

I come across the school gate at 7am. The school is pretty deserted but will start to fill up pretty soon. The basketball courts have been cleared from their graffiti, the canteen has been repainted an ocean blue with patterns of the school crest and there are signs for the different blocks at school. Would be useful since freshman get lost so easily, I know I did once upon a time ago. 

With only the janitor and a few other people lurking in the hallways, I walk to the library where I can escape. Most people hate reading but I find it so intriguing. How life is so different to the ones in books, how love hurts more and how you are able to get emotionally attached so quickly to a character. 

The library doors read CLOSED but I go in anyway. The library ladies don't even mind that I'm in here since I spend most of my time in here, we're kind of like a family. They're like my second mothers while I'm their other son. 

"Morning Linda." I wave to her at the issuing desk. She gives me a little wave before returning to her paperwork. I walk over to the fiction section and find my usual spot next to the window. I love to sit there and watch the colonies of students form/group. It's also quite relaxing. I come across my spot to find it accompanied by a girl I have never laid my eyes on before. 

just letting you know that each letter will represented as the main character's POV. so for Leo he is the capital letters and Andie is the lower case letters. comment your thoughts or nah?

-A