Ch. 10: Sickening

Laughter filled the cells as Anti and (Y/n) were talking up a storm asking each other about the other kind and how they work. They found out more than they could ever ask and ended up enjoying each others company.

"You know," (Y/n) spoke up, "I've never really sat down and talked to a demon before."

"I haven't talked to a human fer a while meself."

"I didn't think you guys had a sense of humor."

"Just because we're demons doesn't mean we don't like to laugh."

She smiled to herself, looking down at her hands, "You know, if things were different, I could see us being -- well -- friends I guess.."

"Pfft, me? Friends with a human?" He laughed standing up from the door. "Are you fookin' nuts? You're a murderer."

Her smile fell from her face.

"I can't believe ye'd even say that." Anti continued laughing as he walked away from the cell.

The laughter grew softer and softer till he disappeared. At the top of the steps leading down the cells, he stood for a moment, leaning against the wall. A bad feeling filled his chest, his heart. A feeling of sadness.

"If only," He shook his head before continuing on.

Die watched from a distance as Anti walked away down a hall. He then slipped to the opening of the steps and slowly made his way down them.

(Y/n)'s human smell was beginning to pick up the longer she stayed down there, mostly because she wasn't able to shower. He approached her cell with caution.

"Human?" He called out lightly tapping on the door. The metal echoed in her room.

"(Y/n)." She announced.

"What?"

"My name is (Y/n)." She stood up from her bed and approached the door. "What the hell are you doing down here?"

Die slid the tiny metal slot over revealing his eyes, "I came to check on you."

She crossed her arms, "What, are you second shift or something?"

He moved away from the hole and slipped a book inside of it, "Here, take this."

She took the book and opened it. It was in complete English. "What's the catch?"

"No catch."

She closed the book and tossed it on the bed. "Whats the deal with you? I don't get it."

He stayed silent and closed the door walking away from her cell.

"Why did you help me?" She called out to him.

He stopped walking, contemplating whether or not to answer. She wouldn't get one, at least not now. He shook his head and continued walking back down the hallway. There was more curiosity than fear or hatred towards her. But allowing anyone to know this would mean death in an instance.

(Y/n) let out a sigh as she sat down on her bed. She picked up the book and opened it. It was an old history book presumably from an old high school high school. Some pages were missing, others torn or stained. The book had been through hell and somehow managed to come out on the other side of it. It would make do though.

As she flipped through the pages her eyes grew heavier and heavier till she fell asleep completely.

(Y/n)'s eyes shot back open only for her to be in a completely different area. A home, a clean home with furniture she didn't recognize. The sun shined brightly in from the windows lighting up the entire space. Hardwood floors beneath her feet. Nothing was familiar.