chapter twelve

it was wednesday afternoon and it was the last day all the girls would be together till monday. so we decided to hangout after school.

"cafe?" mindy yelled across the school parking lot. we all knew what cafe she was talking about.

"yeah!" we all yelled. taylor got a ride with me and annie went with mindy. taylor talked to me about her trip to chicago. she said she wished i was coming with her because she knew i loved chicago. i've only been there a few times but mom loved going there so we always went and dad took me twice after she passed.

"does carter know about your mom and aunt?" taylor asked out of the blue catching me off guard.

"i actually don't know? i mean he knows my mom isn't in the picture but i don't think he knows about jackie being adopted." i say honestly.

"he hasn't asked?"

"no, he's probably just being respectful."

i took a left into the small parking lot of the cafe. jumping out of the car we meet the other girls inside.

we all ordered drinks, them getting coffee and me lemonade. we decided to put our phones in the middle of the table and not take any pictures with our cameras. we just wanted to talk and have a good time. we mainly chatted about how senior year would come to an end before we know it and how we will weren't sure were we'd all end up.

"well we know taylor's getting into columbia, mindy' going to oregon to be close to her mom and just be in a new environment, and me hopefully going to study abroad my first year but what is devon planning to do?" annie had asked the question everyone at the table wanted to know. i hadn't even told them what colleges i applied to or even if i applied to college.

i huffed, "i applied to university of washington and one of the communitry colleges nearby just as a back up.i don't know though. i applied to toronto as a reach school but if i get early acceptance to washington ill be going there." i paused, "you know, I've been reminiscing about mom a lot which could be why I've been thining about toronto but i want to stay nearby to be with dad and jackie."

"wait, you did early admissions?" mindy was quick to say.

"yeah only to washington."

"have you gotten an acceptance letter back?"

"no, i think they come out in early december." i said and they reasured me that no matter where i wanted to go that they would be happy for me.

we decided to drop the conversation because it became a little depressing. the bell rang on the door signaling people entering the cafe. i looked up while sipping my lemonade.

almost spitting my lemonade out i spoke, "you're fucking kidding me." the girls looked at me weird waiting for me to say something else. "well taylor, mindy, would you like to meet carter?"

they are confused and notice me looking over at the counter, "is he one of those boys?" taylor said with excitement.

"mhhmm." taking another sip of my bitter but sweet drink i make eye contact with him. he looks away but realized he saw me and looks again then smiles. he puts his finger up telling me to wait i nod. "he's coming over so don't embarrass me please."

"ooo ill tell him about that time jackie accidentally tripped you and fell into the pool at my house." taylor threatened. i stared her down then heard a voice.

"hey devon! and annie and friends." carter said laughing at himself.

"hey carter, these are my friends mindy and taylor."

"oh these are the ladies that comment on your instagram posts." he put two and two together.

"that would be us." taylor said.

"well this is my friend connor dewar." we waved and he nodded. "as much as id love to stay and chat we have to get to practice. see you friday devon?"

"yeah, of course. bye."

"bye."

they leave and i put my elbows on the table putting my head in my hands.

"awe devons blushing," annie teases.

"devon oh my gosh his friend looks like a god." taylor freaks out.

"i think taylor has more heart eyes for connor than devon does for carter." mindy giggles.

joking around for another 15 minutes we decide to leave. i say bye to mindy and annie and tell them ill see them tomorrow. i took taylor home because she lives close to me. i drop her off, saying bye and tell her to have fun in chicago.

finally getting home jackie was home but dad wasn't. "jackie have you been here alone?" i ask worried.

"no miss jamie is here she's just in the bathroom." she says causing me to sigh in relief. jamie was a babysitter that would help watch jackie occasionally.

"ok well im heading upstairs to do homeowork, you can tell jamie that im here and she can leave if she wants." jackie nodded.

"wait devon!" i stopped in my tracks. "this was dropped off for you, not sure who its from because it was here when jamie and i got back from swimming lessons." i grabbed the box out of her hands and thanked her.

i ran up the stairs eager to open the box. as excited as i was to see what it was i was i was nervous it could be a snake or something random. i jumped on my bed and slowly opened it. realizing what it was i laughed out loud a bit. it was carters silvertips jersey and a note.

'your fashion style is way better than mine but this is without argument the best thing that will be in your closet - carter'

at the bottom of the not had what i was assuming his phone number. i look at the jersey for a while probably blushing hardcore. this boy was driving me crazy.

-

[a/n connor dewar is such a cutie tbh]