He just held his hands up and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms and smirking at my words, "Whatever you say princess." He said.

Jake looked confused, "Why does he call you 'princess'?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Because he's an asshole. I babysit his little sister and since my name is Ariel, she thought I was a princess when I met her and he calls me that in an attempt to piss me off." I said.

Jake seemed to understand and just nodded once before going back to his lunch. I thought it was over then.

Ha. Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So you and Jake...when did that become a thing?" Lucas asked me. I was over his house, watching Clara who was super invested in the movie on the TV that she didn't hear a word we were saying.

I sighed, "Why do you care?" I asked.

"Because that guy is following you around like a lost puppy. That mean's he's going to be inserted into the group now. I want to know how you went from never once speaking to him to all of a sudden being his girlfriend." Lucas said.

I rolled my eyes, "Actually, we've sat next to each other in english all year and talked quite a bit," I began, "he asked me out on a date when we got back from February break. I said yes and we went on a date. We went on two more after that and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. Here we are." I said. holding out my arms, my palms facing the ceiling.

He thought for a second before speaking up again, "I don't get it." He said.

"Jesus Christ, what about that entire situation is so hard to understand?" I asked, exasperated.

"You never once mentioned him when you were so-called "talking" to him, whatever the hell that means." he said.

"Look, I didn't tell anyone because I wasn't sure where it was gonna go. The first time he texted me about something other than what the homework was, I assumed he just wanted to hook up. As time went on, I saw it wasn't just about that. Not to mention I don't really share personal life details with anyone. That's why I never mentioned it." I said with a shrug.

He just shrugged in response, "I get it." Was all he said.

"Thank you." I answered. I turned back to my homework and continued taking notes for History.

If only I'd known how fast things would go downhill from that point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the next couple of weeks, Jake fell into a rhythm with the group. They started to accept him and he was more comfortable around them.

But, it seemed that the more comfortable Jake got around everyone, the less Lucas was around. He didn't seem to like Jake for some reason. Whenever Jake would say something, Lucas would either scoff silently, make some kind of face, or even go as far to have a snide comment ready to respond with.

One day during lunch when, Jake had mentioned his basketball game at lunch, and Lucas scoffed again, I narrowed my eyes at him. I decided not to call him out on it because I didn't want to make a scene, however I did make a mental note to bring up the instance later that night at the house when I was watching Clara.

And I did. It wasn't a good idea.

It was a Friday night, and Tessa and Jason wouldn't be home for hours, and Clara was asleep in her room. Lucas and I were sitting on the couch, watching 'How I Met Your Mother' on Netflix when I decided to bring it up.

"So, what's up with you and Jake?" I asked.

Lucas quirked an eyebrow at me, "What about Jake?" he asked.