pt.5

I woke up grateful that today was Saturday and opened all the windows. It was nice outside and the kind of breeze that was blowing reminded me of sitting on a porch in the summer with your best friend, talking the night away.

I went into my kitchen and began to make breakfast when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Aurora it's Tyler. I was wondering if you had any plans tonight, maybe we could hangout?"

I don't remember giving Tyler my number but I brush it off and say, "Actually tonight I have to babysit my nephews-"

He interjects, "That's perfect I love kids. See you around four?"

Before I get a chance to reply he hangs up, leaving me breathless. What a peculiar boy I've befriended.

The day goes on with me anticipating seeing Tyler again. Four o'clock couldn't come soon enough, but is it too soon? Too soon to see him again?

I decide to stop thinking about it and read a book. Victor Hugo takes me back to the French Revolution, making me forget my own time until Tyler knocks on the door.

"Coming! I'm coming!"I open it and find him in an Aztec stripped hoodie with black jeans. "Well don't you look fabulous?" I joke.

He smiles and takes a step back, pretending to be in awe at my outfit, "Man yoga pants? Tank top? I didn't know we had to dress fancy!"

"Oh hush," I nudge his shoulder. "We don't have to babysit until six, wanna get some food?"

Tyler nods and I run back in my apartment to get my phone and a sweater.Stepping out on the sidewalk, I whistle for a cab.

"Where do you want to go?"

"Uh," he twists a piece of hair around on the top of his head. "I know a place."

A beautifully planned taxi cab pulls up and we both scoot into the backseat. Tyler leans forward and tells the driver "Fourteen and Maine please."

Being the gentleman he is, Tyler pays for the cab and when we get out I see the place he's talking about.

"Taco Bell was your secret very important place?"

"Yeah, man. Their food is sick."

"Their food makes me sick."

"Oh really? We can go somewhere else, it's no big deal."

"No, I'm just kidding," I laugh and pull him into the restaurant.

We eat in silence for awhile before Tyler asks about my nephews.

"Well, one is five months and the other is almost two. Isaac, the two year old, has the most adorable brown little curls. He can be a handful sometimes, especially if he's tired or hungry. Chase on the other hand is always pretty good, I mean he's five months old how much damage can he really do?" I look back at Tyler from the window and see that he has a big smile on his face. "What are you smiling about?"

"You must really love them," He says, still grinning.

"Well of course, they're my nephews."

"No, it's more than that."

"What do you mean?"

"When you were talking about them your whole face lit up. Even though they aren't your kids, your expression was like they make everything worth it."

I looked at him in awe, he was exactly right. We finished our food and got another taxi to my brothers house.

"Hey, Aurora." Jessica, my brothers wife, answered the door with a smile.

"Hey Jes, this is Tyler. Tyler, Jes. He was going to babysit with me if you're cool with that."

"Uh, yeah that's fine." She let us in. "Isaac didn't have his nap today so he'll probably be a little cranky and crash early."

My brother came down the hall buttoning the sleeves on his dress shirt as he did. "Hey Aurora. Who's this?"

"I'm Tyler," he stuck out his hand and my brother shook it.

"Alex."

"Alright honey, you ready to go?" Alex smiled at Jessica and nodded.

"Uh, Chase is in his swing and Isaac is watching Sesame Street. They already ate but if Isaac seems hungry just give him a yogurt or something. Chase has a bottle in the fridge. We'll be home around eight, see ya."

"Bye, have fun."

After Alex and Jes left the kids were little angels. Isaac watched one movie and passed out, same for Chase.

"Well the was easy," Tyler said as he put Chase in his crib.

"Yeah I knew it would be. You're really great with kids."

He looked over his shoulder and half smiled at me. "I've had a lot of practice."

"How so?" We walked to the couch.

"I have three younger siblings, and I was part of a big church. There were always kids around."

"What are your siblings names?"

"Uh, there's Zack, Maddy, and Jay. I love em."

"Where are they?" I asked him as I stretched my legs out on his lap.

"They live in Ohio, where I'm from."

I nodded and laid my head against the couch.

"What about you?" he asked, "Where are your parents?"

"Alex and I don't really see them anymore. After we turned 18 they kicked us out and told us not to come back."

"Oh wow," he sighed and shook his head. "I can't imagine that."

"I don't know how Alex feels but I don't want to see them. Who could do that to their own children?"

"I understand what you're saying-" He was interrupted by the front door opening.

"Hey we're home!" My brother yelled.

I got up and quickly told him to shush before he woke the boys, Tyler close behind me.

"Oh sorry," he whispered now. "Thanks for keeping them. See ya next time."

"Alright, bye big brother. I love you,"

"Love you too," we hugged. "Bye Tyler."

"Bye."

We made our way outside and Tyler called for another cab.

"I had a lot of fun," he said after giving the cab driver my address.

"Me too, I like hanging out with you."

He smiled at me, always smiling. When we arrived at my apartment Tyler got out of the car and walked me to my door.

"Until next time sweet Aurora." Before I could react Tyler leaned in and kissed my cheek then got back in the cab.

I don't have a name for the feeling he gives me, I guess if I had to pick one I'd say he makes me feel alive. Where his hands touch roses blossom and when he's gone they lack the sun they need.