valentines day. the monkees

Tears fell down your face. They were faster than waterfalls as they flowed down your cheeks, ruining your mascara and eyeliner. Your boyfriend of three years dumped you because he thought you weren't pretty enough for him.

He always cheated on you, treating you horribly and you knew that this was going to happen eventually. He was probably going to get with a cheap hooker the next day. That fact made you feel slightly better about yourself.

You blew your nose, turning on the sink. You cleaned your face, a sigh leaving your parted red lips. You wiped off the rest of your makeup, scrubbing to get the stubborn eyeshadow off.

Your eye lids tinted a faint green still, you gave up and dragged your feet, heading towards your small bedroom to sleep away the rest of the Valentines' evening. Taking off your y/f/c dress, you changed into your most comfortable pair of pajamas.

You heard a ring come from your telephone as you drew your sweater over your head. You tugged it down quickly, going to answer the phone.

You picked up receiver and brought it to your ear. "Hello?" You said, your voice a bit croaky from crying. You cleared your throat, coughing into your arm. "Sorry, I think I have a cold coming on.." You lied.

"Hey Y/n, just wanted to check in on you." You heard a familiar voice say on the other end. It was your close friend, Davy Jones. You two met while on the set of The Monkees. You were an extra for one of the various dancing scenes.

You smiled faintly at the sound of his sweet, smooth voice. "Well I'm doing alright, thank you," You answered, taking a seat at the table which your phone as on.

"Are you sure? You sound as if you were just sobbing your eyes out just a few minutes ago," Davy said worriedly. He could read you like an open book, he knew when you were upset.

You froze, not wanting him to worry about you, thinking that you were just a big trouble for him. You licked your lips, putting on another smile to fake being happy. "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry," You answered, causing yourself to sniffle.

Once Davy heard your sniffle. He knew something was wrong. He was going to do whatever it took to make you happy again. He frowned and felt bad. "I'm coming over," He said in a serious tone. He hung up straight after.

Your hand started shaking as you put down the phone slowly. You were mentally panicking. You really didn't want him to come over. Glancing at the front door, you stood up and went over to lock it.

You went back to your small dining table, sitting down and looking down at your lap, feeling ashamed and embarrassed that he could see through you so easily. You tapped your foot and bit your lip. Those were both nervous habits of yours.

A knock on the door was brought to your attention, but you pretended not to hear it at all. On the other side was Davy, fidgeting with the trim of his shirt. "Y/n?"

You froze and tried to be as quiet as you could possibly be. "I know you're there, love," He added. He attempted to peek through the small window in your apartment door, but was unsuccessful. He thought for a moment, before remembering that you kept an extra house key under the green welcome mat that he was currently standing on!

Davy shifted back a bit and bent down, lifting the mat. He slipped the little silver coloured key into his hand, placing the mat back down and unlocking your door. He peeked in cautiously. He had girls throw stuff at him before.

You looked up from your lap and froze, your eyes wide as you stared at him. Your eyes were filled with the most terrified and depressing look. It made Davy feel bad that he wasn't there earlier.