Chapter Forty-One

Tapping my pencil against the desk, resting my head in my hand. I was suffering from boredom. I listened to the teacher going on and on about things I really don't care about, more like half listened and half zoned out into a daydream............ a majority of the time.

I just wanted to leave! The teacher came around and passed out papers, setting it on top of my text book she was reading from.

"Now, if you were paying attention then you should have no problem." She started, giving a work sheet out to each student.
My brown eyes looked up to her, but my head remained in my hand.
"But if you weren't paying attention, you might as well read it all again."
She turned to us, in front of the whole class.

My pencil slipped from my hand and tapped onto the desk one final time. I looked up to her with an 'are you kidding me?' Look, hidden in my eyes while I cursed her out in my head.

I rolled my eyes, flipping the pages of the book back to the beginning so I could get back to reading what I could. Everyday at school they have been working on my reading as much as possible since that was the main focus for me. I mostly needed a touch up on some words and others I needed to learn all together. I can now mostly read some things by myself but still struggles with a few words here and there. It's like Mrs. Trueheart knows when I'm having troubles with my reading, once I'm stuck on a word, she runs over to me in under a minuet.

I glanced back to the clock, still had like ten minuets left before the end of school for me.
It needs to hurry up! My eyes returned to the pages of the story, skimming over it. Jumping over a few words I didn't know.

I heard footsteps coming up from behind me.
"You got it?" Mrs. Trueheart asked over my shoulder.

"Sure.." I grumbled.

She stood there for a moment before saying back. "No you don't." She came around to my side to help me read.
What did I say, she just knows. Either that or she really doesn't have any faith in me..
She helped me properly pronounce and read the words, I could feel one or two people's eyes on me. While she was going over it with me, I looked over my opposite shoulder to see one student in the back of the room, looking at me.

I felt judgment.
Mrs. Trueheart tapped the book.
"Look over here, don't worry about them." She got my attention back to what she was doing.
Before she could go on much more, the bell rang.

"Alright, we will continue this next class. I'll hold onto this for you." She picked up my work sheet. "Have a good day, Mavis." She patted my back, walking off to her desk. I grabbed my bag, throwing it over onto my shoulder. I closed the textbook, setting it in the desk. I left the classroom pretty quickly.

This time, Dash and Kent didn't have a meeting today so I shouldn't have to wait long on them. Being out in the hall way, people ran by, shoving into me, but not on purpose. The hall way were crowded, running into a few people on the way out. If we could expand the hall way, make it bigger would be nice!

It took a little bit to get to the exit, but by the time I did, it was relief. Most of those people were just switching classes, very few were actually leaving like me.
I heard someone run up from behind me, tapping me on my arm. I assumed at first it was Riley, until I looked behind myself to see Ryan again.

"Hey, Mavis. You leaving early?" He asked, it was just him. No others this time.

"Yeah...." I said with uncertainty in my voice, waiting for him to do something.

"That's cool, so are your friends coming to get you or do you have to wait on them, or what?" He asked like he was trying to start a normal conversation. But why would he want to just talk to me? Treating me harshly for like what, four, five years and now he's going to be a bit nicer?