A New Day

Remus ate his porridge as he read a discarded copy of the Daily Prophet. He hadn't noticed someone standing before him on the other side of the table.

"Out for a late night stroll last night, Lupin?"

Remus' eyes glanced up from the paper as he shoveled another spoonful into his mouth. "Ah Professor Snape...Good morning...I need to speak to you regarding a delicate matter when you're available...?"

"Were you or were you not meandering about the Slytherin wing last night?"

Remus nodded. "I was Sir. Doing rounds for Miss Granger in exchange for bathroom privileges."

Snape nodded his head. "Ah. Yes. Alright then. I will inform my prefects that you may from time to time be conducting rounds."

Remus smiled. "Thank you, Sir."

"Mmm...oh and Lupin?"

"Yes Sir?"

"Keep that cur of yours off of the school property."

Remus nodded with a smile. "I'll do what I can, Sir. But he's a grown up. I however am not."

Snape raised his brow. "Will I be seeing you in potions this afternoon?

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, Sir!"

Snape rolled his eyes as he sighed and nodded.

Remus then saw Hermione approaching, a muggle spiral notebook clutched tightly to her breasts and her book bag slung across her shoulder. Behind her was Ron Weasley and behind him, Harry Potter. Remus closed up the paper, folded it and placed it to the side.

"Good morning Hermione," Remus said as he smiled up at her.

"Good morning Remus...still eating porridge, I see?"

He nodded. "I happen to like it."

The trio sat before him and Ron immediately reached for the large bowl of scrambled eggs, then the sausages and bacon. Some beans and tomatoes, then a few slices of toast went on to the side of his plate after he made room. Remus watched him with interest and Harry chuckled after spooning a smaller amount of the eggs and meat onto his plate, reaching across Ron for the coffee carafe and poured a cup for Hermione and himself. She reached behind Ron for the cup without looking as she reached for a muffin with the other hand, her eyes on the news of the day from the same paper that Remus had been reading. Remus likened to a well practiced dance, flawless in it's execution.

When Ron had finished his breakfast, he reached for a cinnamon and current muffin and stared toward the windows at nothing as he bit into it.

"So, what's on the agenda for today," Remus asked no one in particular.

"Well, I have Ancient Runes while they take Divination, then History," Hermione offered.

Remus grimaced. "Divination..."

"Exactly!"

"Well, I suppose there's something to it." Remus offered.

"I always like arithromancy, there is math involved," Hermione replied stiffly.

"Hermione, arithromancy involves maths. It's still fortune-telling."

She rolled her eyes. "I have my notes if you'd like to look them over," she said as she held out the spiral notebook.

Remus' face lit up. "Ah yes! Thank you for this," he said cheerfully. "I'll look them over after potions."

"Potions," both Harry and Ron groaned causing Remus to chuckle.