Prologue

Remus' eyes soon fluttered open and he licked his lips as his gaze flitted back and forth as if he were trying to remember where he was. Finally, his gaze focused and he realized that he was staring up at the head of his house. His hand went down to steady himself.

"Remus, can you stand, dear?"

Remus swallowed hard and took her hand in his as she stood. Minerva pulled the gangly teen to a stand and looked up into his hazel eyes as he towered over her.

"Thank you," he whispered quietly. "I'll get to class."

"No, you'll get to supper."

The boy's shoulders slumped as he sighed and he closed his eyes and shook his head. "I'm sorry, Professor."

"It's not yer fault Remus," she replied as she held out her hand. "I'm puttin' an end to this right now."

"I'm sorry?"

"Hand over the device."

Remus' eyes widened as he barely shook his head. "Oh, please, noooo..."

Minerva McGonagall lowered her head. "I'm worried about yeh Remus," she began and looked up at him. "With yer Mum having passed and the transformations..."

"Professor, I can do better! I swear it!"

"It's not a matter of yeh doing better! It's a matter of yer survival!"

"Please, another week!"

She agreed with a huff. "Miss another one of m'classes again and I'll turn yeh into a pink cuddly teddy bear and remove it from your person personally. Then I'll hand yeh over t' Mister Black t'play with. Is that clear Mister Lupin?"

Remus nodded. "Crystal, Professor. Clear as crystal."

Remus couldn't help but to gape at her, wondering what all she was aware of with regard to her remark of the cuddly pink teddy bear having been played with by a one handsome and very  illegal animagus...