Chapter seventeen: A man of Catch

(Lauren’s POV)

I woke up to the blast of the roaring thunder outside my window. Even though the curtains were draped and the heater was up, I couldn’t help but feel numb on my fingertips and toes.

Man! It’s freezing here.

I sat up to look at the big window on my right where rain was pouring down endlessly for the past few days. I turn to glance at the clock and it read 2:00 am.

How the hell was I supposed to go back to sleep?

So I decided to head down to the kitchen and make myself some hot chocolate for this night. I reached for my bathrobe to cover my night gown and headed down.

In the process of going down the stairs, the lights went off as the whole house was surrounded in darkness. Only the lightning from outside of the big wide window of the living room made me still able to see my surroundings but only in a dim amount of shade.

Just then I heard a high-pitched scream followed by a muffle of curses from the living room; I immediately tensed up.

Shit! Robbers!

I can feel goose bumps arousing from the back of my neck. I slowly went down and straight to where my tennis racket was hanging. I immediately grabbed it and made my way to the living room.

Whoever it was, they’ll never have the chance to get away with this!

This month probably hates me! All the bad luck was thrown my way for the past couple of days.

From Chrysler to hotel, hotel to Sinulog, Sinulog to home to robbery, robbery back to Chrysler and now this?

Hell! I don’t think so!

I slowly crept up to the couch and saw a figure clutching his knees while he/she was panting hard; his back was facing me.

I’m guessing he had a hard time pushing the piano and to his determination he was granted access.

I might have to really call for someone to fix it instead of finding time to fixing it on my own.

On the process of going closer to beat the shit of this person for trespassing, I sort of tangled my foot under the creased carpet and fell flat on my face.

Shit! I made a loud thud catching his attention. As my hair was draped the front; covering my face.

I groaned at the impact. I tried looking for the racket even though my hair was in the way of finding it and to my very fortunate luck; it was over by the chimney away from me.

And now it’s the other way around! So instead of me catching this robber by surprise; unfortunately thanks to my clumsiness, it would be the other way around.