❤︎Chapter Fourteen

I didn't think I'd ever want to see another cat again for a very long time.

I let out an ear-splitting scream as I dodged a pillar  sized paw that swatted down at me. Tripping over my feet when I jumped out of the way, I fell on my underside and slid through the dirt and grass. As I collided with the ground, I felt my knee collide painfully with the surface.

I barely have time to realize I was bleeding through the new scrapes before I feel arms wrap around me and scoop me back onto my feet. As soon as my feet touched the ground, Azura came into view, grabbing my arm and sprinting to lead me to safety. I moved my legs as fast as I could until I felt like I was flying trying to keep up with him. He had much longer legs than mine.

My mind is racing, but I don't dare look back. In the midst of us running from the massive enemy, we'd all been scattered across the forest floor. Azura had gotten to me fast enough and his first goal was to get us to safety. I could only hope that Cassius had found Crystal and was keeping her safe now!

I've never felt such fear before...

The horrible twist in your gut that felt like you'd been struck there...the sweat underneath my thick attire..wondering where to hide...your heart hammering in your ears, like a loud amplified beat that could give you away when you hid.

I, Princess Noel had certainly not run for my life before.

That was a big change.

This was the only moment since I'd left my kingdom that I thought about wanting to return to the comfort of my own home.

I guess I'm living a little after all.

"Don't let go of my hand!" Azura shouted amidst the rush. Where he jumped, I jumped. Where he turned, I turned. I focused on him so closely, at some point I'd even forgotten that we were being chased by something.

Azura is so quick and clever...

I couldn't help admiring him when he kept me safe like this.

We reach a thick barrier of rose bushes that looked safe enough to guard us. Azura quickly wrapped an arm around me and dove into a tiny gap between them that we were able to fit through. We land with a shuff noise and pull ourselves to our feet to run as deeply as we can on the inside.

 We land with a shuff noise and pull ourselves to our feet to run as deeply as we can on the inside

"Quickly!"

The rose bush quakes as the cat's paws force their way in, claws snagging the flowers and ripping them to shreds. Azura pulls me close to him and pries open a space between the stems for us to hide. I fall into his arms and he holds me tightly, sword at the ready as we settle against the stems.

At some point, the cat gives up on us.

When it leaves, I try to move, but Azura holds me still.

"Not yet. It's not safe." He whispers.

We lay there in silence for what seemed like hours. I was too frightened to move, my heart pounding in my chest. Azura's virile scent blended so intoxicatingly well with the lovely smell of the pink roses around us. I was relaxing in no time against his solid body.

My heart rate slowed down, and my body became heavier and heavier as the adrenaline rush died down. I hadn't been this physically active in quite a long time. I just knew I'd be sore in the morning from all of the running..

"Silly...you shouldn't doze off at a time like this..." Azura squeezes me tighter, as if to keep me awake, but it only makes me feel safer, and therefore more relaxed.

"I can't help it..I'm so tired.." I whisper back.

"Talk to me to keep yourself awake."

It's definitely safe now, then. The coast must be clear.

"Hmm..." I normally wasn't very good at making conversation, but I was good at saying whatever was on my mind. "You know.. I am worried about something."

"Besides the fact that we could be eaten by a giant cat?" Azura chuckles quietly, his abdomen rumbling beneath me. It made me grin.

"Yes, besides that...I'm worried I won't click with any of the other princes. What if I don't like them, or they don't like me? I don't think I have this so called type of guy that I like..."

Azura is quiet for a moments, but he responds after a few heartbeats, "I'd find it hard to believe that no one could ever like you."

I smiled, my heart fluttering in my chest, "Maybe you're my type, Azura."

Just like that, he tenses underneath me. I can feel his hand on my arm, steadily growing warmer. I couldn't move to see his face, but I was sure it was red.

"You shouldn't joke about things like that, Princess Noelle."

"But it's funny to see you get so shy!"

"I'd like it if you stopped teasing me while I'm trying to keep us from being eaten."

"Yeah, yeah."

Our deadly game of hide-and-go-seek ended at nightfall when Azura and I heard Crystal and Cassius calling our names. We reunited eagerly, relieved to see everyone was alright. They'd both met up while trying to hide and came to find us as soon as they knew it was safe.

We move through the forest together, a little bit more quietly and discreet than earlier. We didn't want to catch the attention of another giant predator.