Chapter 7 | Mia is a Smart Ninja

I fall onto the floor and yell when my head hits the wood surface with a painful thud.

"Are you alright?" Mia yells, running to my side. "Sub, answer me!" She pats my face and I can see her blurry silhouette. The image of the little girl started to fade as Mia shook me awake.
"Sub?" She says, questioning my consciousness.

I feel light headed and dizzy. My head feels wet, soaked with blood.

Like I already didn't have enough brain damage.

"What happened?" I groan. Pain seers from my head. I still couldn't hear, or see, clearly. I think my words were slurred but it was hard to tell since everything sounded off.

"I don't know what the heck happened," Eddie says in a confused voice. "But I know that your head isn't gonna heal itself."

He dabs a clean table cloth on it lightly. It stings and I wince in pain.
"It actually might," I mumble. "My hands," I lift them up in the air, my vision becoming clearer. My hands had been bloodied and bruised and it was...gone.

"He's right," Mia says. Eddie and Robert look towards her. "Well," she continues. "His cells can somehow regenerate themselves after they've been torn."

"So he can't die?" Eddie asks, in awe of Mia's words.

"Oh no he can die for sure," She dramatizes her words. "He can definitely die. He's very capable of-"

"I get it,"I say taking the wet cloth from Eddie and holding it to my head. "I can die. Dying is something I can do."

"Your not bullet proof Sub," she says seriously. She says it almost like I purposely hit my head. "Your cells regenerate faster than the average human body, but you are capable of pain and death."

I smile at her. "I'm capable of pain? Wow I had no idea. I just like screaming for no reason when I smash my head into things."

She rolls her eyes at my sarcastic comment. "Don't joke about it, okay? This is serious."

"So what your saying is, I'm subject to pain." I burst out laughing and wince when I feel a sharp tingling pain in my head.

Mia stomps her foot angrily.
Robert chuckles and nudges Robert. "Aw look, their having their first argument."

Mia rolls her eyes and presses her hand to her face. She looked embarrassed to even be with us. Ironically she was the youngest person in the room.

Robert walks over and locks the door. He closes the restaurant blinds and looks at us over his shoulder. He walks back and helps Eddie put all the men in one pile.
"Merry Christmas," he says patting me on the back and helping me up.

I wondered what Christmas was like for me. Did I get a bunch of gifts from my parents? Did I have a sister squeal when she got the Barbie she wanted? Or an annoying little brother begging for his next gift?

"You ain't missin' much kid," Robert says as if he's reading my thoughts.
It was probably the sad expression on my face that gave it away.
What did Robert have to complain about? He was probably just trying to make me feel better.
Creating new memories was strange.
Yesterday, I had nothing.
Today, I have yesterday.
Tomorrow, I'll have today.
Building new memories is all I can do for now. But I will get my memories back. No matter what it takes.

"I've contacted T.O.C.E" Eddie says, placing a silvery object in his pocket. "They'll take these guys back for questioning."

Robert and Mia nod.
Vanessa was leaning against the wall, casually inspecting her black painted fingernails. "So," she says looking up from her hand, "Are we gonna get going or what?"