Chapter 4 | Is This Chapter Title an Illusion

I'm sorry that this chapter will be so short! It's only 1800 words. My other chapters are all above 2000. I hope you like it either way!

The feeling of finally escaping the clutches of Samuel Akerman could not be expressed. My heart was full of joy, which quickly turned to sorrow. As truly amazing as it felt to be free, my memory was still gone.

After what seemed like an hour of riding through the woods of strangely colored trees Mia and Robert both stop on an empty beach and cast nervous glances around the area. A beautiful waterfall with various different blues and greens filled the lake with gorgeous teal water. It was falling from a large metal ring. The hole looked dark, yet elegant. The trees around it had limbs stretching out just barely crossing over it with orange, pink, green, and even blue leaves. The color was vivid and bright, making me look twice.
"Why did we stop?" I ask as Mia climbs off, still looking around.

"This is our stop." She smiles.
Robert joins us in the sand along with the other man accompanying us. The man walks forward, blue eyes glistening in the light. He wraps his arms around Mia, pulling her in for a tight hug.
"I told you not to go on the mission!" He says. He releases from the hug and looks at her.
"What if you got hurt?"

She frowns.
"I'm sorry Eddie but they needed my technological expertise."

"She's right," Robert interrupts. "We couldn't have gotten inside without her."
Eddie pulls her into another hug.
"You're the only sister I've got, so I'm just thankful your okay."

He lets her go and extends his hand towards mine.
"The name is Eddie Stein. It's an honor to meet you."

I grab his hand and shake it firmly. He seemed friendly, smiling wide with white pearly teeth.
"Why?" I ask, the question blurting from my lips. Eddie looks down at the sand and then back at Robert.

Robert nods.
Eddie looks at me, his bright smile returning. "We've been trying to retrieve one of Akerman's subjects for a long time. As the years stretched on his experiment kept...failing," He pauses to take a step closer, "Until you."

I kick the sand with my feet and walk closer to the water, sand burying in-between my toes each step. "What exactly did he do?"

I lift my hands in the air, dried blood stained them. "What the heck did he do to me?" I repeat almost yelling.

Mia steps closer, scratching behind her ear.
"We don't know why he needed you so badly, or why you're the way you are. But we knew he was creating a virus, a virus that's pretty nasty."
She too starts kicking her foot back and forth, playing with the sand.

"He's making people like me?" I ask, pointing at my chest.
Mia sighs, and looks around once more.
"I don't exactly know," She pauses. "From what we've learned, he's creating an airborne virus, powerful enough to kill...who knows how many people."

I shrug picking up a rock and throwing it into the water. It plops, creating a ripple that starts small and gets bigger and bigger.
"If he just wants to kill people than why am I needed? Why am I necessary? Is he just toying with me!?"

Mia lifts her hands, trying to calm me down. She looks like she's afraid. Her lips slightly quivered and her legs were just barely shaking.
"I'm sorry." I say quietly. I thought back to the time we first met and wondered, could she ever forget that moment?

"Come inside before it rains, its scheduled to shower from four to six." Robert says, "Just like it does every freaking Tuesday." Robert yells, his voice echoing through the forest.

"It can't rain the same time every week." I state as a fact, "I don't even see any clouds!"

Robert, Mia, and Eddie all look at each other with serious expressions.
"He doesn't know." Mia says just barely loud enough for me to hear.
"Sub," Robert says, "You don't know about the Units, do you?"