Chapter 6 | Slapped In The Face Unnecessarily

My eyes flutter open. The blurred world around me slowly became clearer. I lean up, I was laying down on a long white bed, with plush pillows and soft white blankets. The room was completely covered in white.

The brightness was alarming, but calming at the same time.
The blood had been washed off of my hands and I realized that underneath the blood, my skin had completely healed. I turn my hands back and forth examining them. No bruises, or cuts, or any kind of blemish.

On my wrist there was a grey metal band. I didn't remember it being there before. I tug at it with my left hand and as soon as too much pressure is applied it shocks me, vibrating my arm with a painful buzz.

Shocked, literally, I uncover my legs and stand up. A pair of folded clothes was neatly folded on the white nightstand next to the bed. A pair of socks and shoes were placed next to it, and I should have been grateful but for some reason I couldn't get over the fact that they put the shoes on top of the nightstand. Shoes, should never be on any kind of raised surface.
I felt uncomfortable changing in a strange room that I couldn't remember how I'd gotten into. But it was heavily implied that I should.

The short sleeve grey T-shirt was soft against my skin. The pants were a dark grey, several shades darker than the the shirt. Everything fit perfectly, even the shoes.
I was relieved, and frightened.

These people definitely didn't like colors that much I noticed.
I hear a knock on the door. I walk over to it, slowly and stand behind it.

"It's Robert." I hear through the other side.
"And Mia!" I can hear her soft voice chime in. Robert knocks a few more times. I could tell it was him because of how much force he used.
"We've brought food."

I opened the door.
I'd forgotten how hungry I was. Everything was so chaotic I hadn't stopped to think about my stomach.

Robert and Mia walk inside. To my surprise, Eddie also walks in. He smiles and nods.
Robert plops down on the bed waving a paper bag in the air.
"Good morning sleeping beauty. This is all yours."

I walk over and snatch it out from his hands. When I open the bag, steam flies up and it smells amazing. Even though I'd forgotten how it tasted, I knew that pizza was inside.

"I didn't know what kind of foods you like," Robert says pointing at the bag. "But I figured everybody likes pizza so I'll just get that."

I lift the pizza in the air by the crust, steam rising from the cheese.
I take a bite and close my eyes, engrossing myself in the flavor.

Robert laughs.
"Those science freaks may have taken your memories but at least you still got your tastebuds."

Mia slaps his arm playfully.
"That's insensitive!" She scolds him. I would have guessed he was around twenty years older, and here Mia was acting motherly.

"This is..." I pause between bites,"Amazing."

Eddie places his hand on my shoulder.
"I heard about yesterday, are you feeling alright?"

I lift the pizza in the air, dangling it in front of his face.
"I feel amazing."

I had almost completely forgotten about what happened. The last thing I remembered was passing out in the training room.
So much for training.