Chapter 11 Showdown

Chapter 11

Showdown

Myrtle walked with Aria to the Chemistry room. Mr. Connor said he would give her the notes for the next day's announcements. Once they were almost there, they found students already emerging in the hall.

"I guess its time for your next class," Myrtle commented. "We probably didn't notice the bell during our discussion."

Aria nodded as she spotted her friends in the hall and then went over to meet up with them. Myrtle continued onto Mr. Connor's class. When she almost arrived, she heard trotting behind her and then turned to see Aria had still decided to follow her.

"Shouldn't you be going to your next class?" Myrtle asked her.

"Vanessa said Kendal was still in Mr. Connor's room," Aria told her. "I just wanted to meet up with her and ask her something before our next class."

Myrtle nodded as she attempted to open his door. "It's locked."

"That's weird," Aria commented, pressing her ear against the door. "I hear screaming... its Kendal! We have to get it open!"

Myrtle reached in the inside of her jacket pocket and pulled out her wand. She quickly charmed the door unlocked before stashing away her magical device.

Aria yanked the door open and burst in. Myrtle followed and they found Kendal cornered against the wall by Mr. Connor, who held up a knife in his hand.

"Casey!" Myrtle screamed out, pulling out her wand again.

Mr. Connor turned with his deep red eyes. He looked like the victim of a demonic possession. However, once he met Myrtle's eyes, his own began to clear, and his expression transformed from possessed to confused.

"Myrtle?" he questioned, his eyes falling to the knife and then Kendal. "What am I doing?"

Before anyone could say anything, his body fell to the ground, unconscious. Myrtle went beside him, while Aria rushed over to Kendal.

"Are you okay?" Aria demanded, giving her a hug. "What happened?"

Still panting heavily, Kendal answered. "I don't know! It's like something was controlling him. One moment he was normal but then... he said he wanted my heart."

"That sounds like the Huntsman," Aria concluded, momentarily bringing her hand to her head. She then asked Myrtle, "Do you think the queen did this to him?"

Myrtle nodded. "That seems like the most plausible explanation. Sahrissa must have put a charm on him to make him want to take Kendal's heart for her."

"Well, in that case she failed," Kendal said, darkly, and then looked to Myrtle and added, "Because of you. Thanks for saving my life."

"Your gratitude is much appreciated, Kendal, but I didn't do anything," Myrtle informed her.

Aria tilted her head, curiously. "But you must have. I saw you pull out your wand. How else could the charm have broken?"

Myrtle sighed looking down at his unconscious body. "He must have come out of it by himself."

Kendal then smirked. "Maybe true love broke his curse. After all, he seemed to snap out of it the moment he saw you."

"I highly doubt that," Myrtle said, glaring at Aria. "Did you gossip to all your friends about Mr. Connor's supposed crush on me?"