Chapter 14: We need to talk.

Start from the beginning

“Y-yes of course sire.”

That was their first flaw. They had no loyalty to family.

Strike one.

“Tell me familiars, what do you think of this excursion my father has taken us on? Do you think it right that we should enter the lands of our innocent brethren and take by force what they have worked for?”

Paltin looked uncertainly at Hubris who in turn looked at me and after only the briefest of hesitations he responded.

“It is as our leader said my Lord, only the strongest can survive this world and it is our right to take what we can to satisfy our people.” Hubris explained.

“Yes, but I asked what it is that you think, you have merely regurgitated my father’s words.”

“Well…I think as he does my Lord.”

Another flaw, he did not think for himself.

I looked at Paltin who looked ready to throw up his dinner. “And you?”

“I-I-I...I merely think it is a necessary evil sire.”

“A necessary evil. Hmm… Explain.”

The lad was a ball of nervous energy as he walked along side me, eyes wide, heart pounding.

“It…it just is my Lord.” He answered finally and I nodded.

An idiot then.

Strike two

“Let me ask you both this then. Why me?”

“My Lord?” Hubris questioned in confusion.

“Why me? Why have you chosen to partake in my mating ceremony? To slay your own brother for me when you have never exchanged a word with me until this moment?”

“Well because you are of the master class my Lord, any familiar would give their very life for the chance to be called yours.”

I thought on that and I was unsatisfied with their response. They wanted status of course, what more was there. After all they did not know me, not at all.

“I have a final question for you both.”  I said looking at each brother in turn.

“If one of you were to be successful and come to be called my mate. To whom would you pledge your loyalty? To me? Or would you still obey my father before all others?”

It took them longer than expected to answer and even when they did they seemed terribly uncertain.

“Y-You my lord?” they both stammered out the response and I shook my head.

“Strike three.” I said softly and Hubris glanced my way.

“I beg your pardon my Lord?”

I shook my head, then waved a hand out in front of me. “Walk ahead with the others.” I commanded to which they did with only brief hesitation and without question.

Why would I want my mate to obey me? What I wanted was his love as an equal, not a slave. I needed someone who held intelligence, who would not be afraid to question my decisions, someone who could ignite that flame buried deep within me.

My gaze travelled to the brothers now walking a few steps ahead of me and I felt a pang of loss. If I were to hazard a guess, everyone competing in the ceremony were all just as ill matched for me as those two. Not one would come close to my true mate Tony. Not one would stir my passion and turn my heart as he did. Not one could truly be called mine.