The Role of a Chieftess

Start from the beginning

With every passing day Cas felt stronger, gained better control of his abilities and a deeper understanding and connection with his Kin blood. Such a combination of growth eased the worries in his heart and reassured him that he could protect his people and his family if he needed to. And yet, in spite of all that, here he stood, nervous about being in a room full of powerful Chieftain's.

Brams face soured suddenly. Cas followed his gaze to find the Riska princes striding towards them. Takashi looked the same as he always did, clad in basic hunting leathers with a sword on his hip. Uldrin, on the other hand, was adorned from head to toe in the best dyed fabrics and the softest fur and leather. His clothes were decorated with colourful, perfectly coordinated patterns and around his neck hung a grand necklace of beads, shining metals and the painted claws of hunted beasts. Altogether he looked like a great warrior prince, fit to awe any audience.

He carried himself differently too. He seemed to stand taller, with his head held high and his expression stolid. Instead of giving a verbal greeting he walked up to Cas and offered out his arm. Cas was surprised to be greeted first until he realised that Uldrin was one Prince greeting another, whose territory he was in.

Cas managed to keep his face free of emotion, doing his level best to mimic the Riska prince. He gripped Uldrin's forearm, noticing how cold his skin felt in comparison to his own, then, as was the custom, they briefly pressed their foreheads together and clapped their free hand on the others shoulder.

It was a very familiar kind of greeting, but as Uldrin had initiated it Cas didn't complain.

Behind them, the door to the Pyrite hut slowly creaked open. The small gathering of men all turned their attention to the entrance-way, from which a middle-aged woman emerged.

'Presenting Chieftess Vada,' Marin announced, attempting to project her voice in a very regal way. Cas grimaced, he knew Vada wouldn't like all the fuss.

When the woman stepped aside he saw only an empty doorway for a moment, and then his sister appeared and the men collectively gasped.

Cas had never seen his sister look so royal and feminine.

Vada's chest was enveloped in a white wrap that left her toned stomach bare. A necklace similar to Uldrin's hung around her neck and a cape with feathered shoulders and a long white fabric train hung from her collarbone, held in place by ornate metal clasps.

A simple grey skirt hugged her hips secured by a draping silver chain belt. Slits ran up either side of the skirt allowing the fabric to taper in to form a narrow column, revealing her slender, toned legs.

Shimmering anklets sat just above her soft, grey leather shoes and matching bangles tinkled on her wrists.

The girls had braided sections of her hair with white ribbon to compliment her outfit but for the most part, her deep brown hair hung in loose waves, sitting on her shoulders and pouring down her back. White beads, grey feathers and silver accents came together to form a headdress, but the most surprising feature was a set of pristine, white sinewy horns that protruded from each side of the crown, they curled back away from her face but ended in sharp points angled towards the sky.

Vada already felt unusually self-conscious under the startled gazes of the men but then villagers began to notice her and they too stopped in their tracks. Soon it seemed like the whole village was rushing towards the hut to get a better look at her.

Taking a steadying breath, Vada walked down the stairs. Uldrin marched forward quickly, doubling over into a dramatically low bow with his arm across his chest.

'Chieftess,' Uldrin began when he was once again upright, his voice sounded deeper and huskier than Vada was used to, 'please allow me to escort you to the meeting of the mountain chiefs,' He continued, holding out his hand.

Vada didn't hesitate to take his hand with a smile, relieved to have an experienced leader by her side who wouldn't let her embarrass herself. She was also worried that her shoes weren't up to the journey and longed for the old leather knee-high boots that had seen her through many a tough trek.