Chapter Forty-Five - The Pack House

Start from the beginning

"Where are we going?" I voiced as soon as Samuel stepped on the gas, the car lurching forward with the movement.

He half glanced at me. "To the house."

I felt a sudden lump in my throat. "The," I hesitated. "The pack house?"

"Yes."

Mixed feelings crept into my heart, and I wasn't sure what to do with them all. I'd never been to the infamous pack house, and frankly, I didn't want to. It was an area highly concentrated with countless werewolves, all of whom probably hated me for being a human. Sure, they claimed to live in peace with us, but if that were the case, they wouldn't congregate in one area of town, in the first place.

"We're going in the back door," Samuel started, his voice emotionless. "There's a lockdown room for new shifters. We have to put Will there. You'll go in the room next to him."

"Why?"

"I don't want the pack focusing on him or you. Not until I get everything figured out."

Images of Riley's dead body flashed through my mind. I stole a glance at Samuel, lowering my head in the process. With the images of Riley's dead body, came the memories of Samuel beating hopelessly against his still heart. "I'm sorry," I told him in a small voice. "About Riley."

His fingers gripped the steering wheel tighter. "Raven, I need you to stay with Samantha."

She'd been quiet up to this point, but when Samuel spoke to her, she nodded almost too eagerly. "I'd be happy to, Beta."

He nodded once and took a deep breath through his nose. "Good, now-" Samuel suddenly cut himself off. He half turned to look at me, eyes narrowing considerably. I tried not to shrink away from his gaze, mostly because I had no idea why he was suddenly looking at me. His face was still uncharacteristically emotionless, revealing nothing as to his thoughts or intentions.

Samuel took another deep breath, watching me from the side of his eye. After he exhaled sharply, he spoke again. "Samantha, you're bleeding."

"What? No, I'm not." My voice decided to rise an octave. I did a quick scan of my body, checking to make sure my limbs were all intact. Then, the burning of my side was pushed to the forefront of my mind. I'd been ignoring it, and up until now, I had succeeded.

My hands trailed up my hip and under my shirt, just enough so that I could feel the skin around my stitches. Sure enough, it was slick with blood. "Oh," I breathed, slowly turning my head to look back at Samuel.

His hands tightened on the steering wheel, once more. I watched the speedometer gradually start to rise as Samuel's foot pressed harder against the gas pedal. "Change of plans. Raven, you stay outside of Will's door until I find someone else to put there."

"Anything you say, Beta."

"I'm fine," I protested, my gaze darting between the two of them. "Really. It's probably just my stitches from when I fell." My eyes decided to linger on Samuel. "Besides, you're the one who needs a doctor."

Again, he ignored me. No more words were spoken between us, but the car was nowhere near silent. The hum of the engine was loud in my ears, reminding me of the fact that Samuel was pushing the car to go faster every passing second. I didn't dare look outside of the window, knowing that if I did I'd be resigned to accept that Samuel was going to crash the car.

Of course, we never crashed. In a record amount of time, we made it back into town. The car came to an abrupt halt outside a large building, what I deemed to be the infamous pack house. I couldn't tell much about the outside of the house, but the inside was buzzing. Lights were on in almost every window, on every floor. Shadows ran across them as figures moved hurriedly between each room. A small door was standing open in the middle of the house, with a short stairway leading to it. No one was outside the door, though, and it hung limply on its hinges, swinging with the wind. It looked as if someone had hurriedly run inside and forgot to close the door behind them.