The Child of Life

Lance maneuvered his way through the collapsing building with the limp Keith in his arms. With tears covering his face, he fell out of the exit to a worried Coran and Shiro.

Shiro ran toward him with a smile, "Lance! You found him!"

Lance clutched Keith's body as he sat on his knees in the thick mud, pushing him into his chest. He barked at Shiro to stay back, which he did. The men stared at Lance with curious eyes that quickly filled with sorrowful realization. Lance's sobs filled the night air along with the thick smoke. The heat from the fire grazed his back, casting a red glow onto his shirt.

Coran let out an 'oh no' and covered his face with his hands.

Shiro's head dropped and he pounded his fists on the hood of the car.

Lance's breathing sputtered out of his chest through his tears. He snuck a look at Keith's empty face. The warmth of his skin had faded and his muscles held no strength. Pulling him back into his chest, Lance started to rock as he cried. This couldn't be happening. Surely they had made it out. This had to be a dream. Keith couldn't be dead. He was alive a few minutes ago. Lance looked back down at him and stroked his cheeks while he rocked him. He just had to hold him until he woke up. He will come back. Lance's voice was wobbly throughout his lullaby, making it more somber than it already was.

Thick-skinned chameleon climbs the curtains hanging on the wall,
The only living ghost to grace the hall.

Meanwhile on the battlefield,
Another soldier boldly bites his tongue

Lance's voice broke with the next line, and a tear fell onto Keith's cheek.

The only noble thing he's ever done.

Crunching footsteps made their way to Lance's side. "Lance..." Coran tried to keep him voice calm, but Lance could tell that he was just as upset as the rest of them. "Lance, let's get you up."

"No," Lance spat, hugging Keith tighter.

Coran sighed and knelt down, "Lance, he's- Lance, he's gone."

"No!" Lance took in a wobbly breath and looked at the bloody mess of his stomach. "He's not dead! He can't be dead!"

Coran placed his hand on Lance's shoulder, but it was quickly shaken off. "Lance, we need to go. Let me see him."

Lance let out a heart-wrenching cry and tilted his head back to stare at the stars. Tears glided down his neck and he brought his forehead to Keith's. He kissed him again and again, resting their cheeks together. "I love him." He choked out more of his song.

Thick-skinned chameleon
Open your eyes
Now hanging on
The only living ghost to grace the hall

Meanwhile on the battlefield
Another soldier still lying on the bed
Soaking up the sleep from
The only noble ghost to grace the hall

A small voice spoke in Lance's ear, barely audible. "I don't get that song."

Lance's cries hitched and he pulled away from Keith, staring at his face. Keith's eyes are half opened and his chest slowly gained a normal rhythm. His mouth was pulled into a warm smile.

Lance looked up to Coran and Shiro, making sure he wasn't crazy. Both of them stared at the body with surprise. Keith brought his shaky hands up to hold Lance's cheeks. They shared a look of disbelief as Keith wiped the tears from his face, his eyes opening fully as they adjusted to the light. Lance jerked his head toward Keith's stomach and pulled his shirt up to inspect his abdomen. No wounds. A lot of dried blood, but no bullet holes. No anything. All the bruises and cuts he had disappeared. His broken toes were mended and the nail holes in his fingers were closed. Even Lance's own bullet wound was healed.