The Pilot

Keith was woken up in the middle of the night by a sudden bang in the hotel. He quickly sat up in the bed and reached for his gun. When he wasn't in a safe environment, he always slept fully clothed and with his gun by the bed. He glanced over to check Lance in the other bed, who sleeping soundly. Then, he turned his head to Shiro next to him, who was also asleep fully clothed. Keith felt a burn in his chest that signaled something was wrong. Grabbing the pillow behind him, he smacked Shiro with it.

Shiro jumped awake and rubbed his eyes, "What the hell?"

"Shh!" Keith let his eyes drift around the room as he pointed to the footsteps on the floor above them, "I think we've got company."

The two hastily but silently got out of the bed and held their guns across their chests. Keith stretched an arm over to Lance, waking him with a shake and putting a finger over his own mouth. Lance gave him a questioning look, but quickly pieced the situation together and got up to put his shoes on.

Keith and Shiro shared a concerned look as they waited for Lance to get ready. Inspecting the footsteps above them, Keith closed his eyes to listen. It sounded like more than 5 people were all trekking down the halls of the hotel. Then, another bang sounded along with muffled, faint screams. Shit! Keith opened his eyes and turned to Shiro, "They know we're here, let's go."

Shiro nodded and pointed to Lance, "Keep him safe."

Keith's mind brought back the memory of last night; and he remembered the job that was thrust upon him: keep Lance alive. He pushed his eyebrows together and frowned. Turning around to grab Lance's arm and pulling him close. "Hold onto my back, we're getting out of here."

Lance nodded with wide eyes and concerned eyebrows, and walked close to Keith, keeping a hand wrapped around a strap on his vest.

Keith took a deep breath and stepped toward the door. Even though he didn't really like the guy, he was relieved to feel the heat of Lance's body on his back. It told him that he was still alive. Keith shook his head and chalked it up to his passion for his assignments. Shiro picked up his satchel and threw it over his shoulder, starting toward the exit.

Keith adjusted his grip on his gun as he leaned up against the wall next to the door. According to the hotel layout, they were able to get out quickly if they turned right and took the stairwell down to the main floor. Keith heard the sticking of leather and glanced over his shoulder. Lance had wrapped his mask back on his face and nodded to Keith. Keith gave him a slight nod and turned back to the door.

Shiro was crouched down and held a pistol his left hand, pointing up. They waited for the footsteps to enter another room, then bolted out the door. Keith checked down both ways of the brown and cream hallway. It was clear. Keith turned right and hugged the wall as he marched, aiming to reach the stairs as quickly as possible. Lance's anxious breathing and whimpering made Keith's chest ache a little; and he moved his gun to his right hand and pulled his left arm back in an attempt to keep Lance between him and the wall. Lance's free hand tightly latched onto Keith's shoulder in response.

They were halfway to the door to the stairwell when gunshots zipped past them without warning, just missing Keith's left ear. He quickly glanced over his back to find the source. Three armed men in deep purple shot at them, obviously aiming to kill. Keith scoffed in anger and let his instinct take over. In one swift motion, he turned around to wrap his arm around Lance's waist and picked him up. Lance secured himself to Keith, wrapping his legs around his waist and his arms around his neck. Keith let his right arm stay back to fire a few shots at the men as he turned around, keeping his head back as he ran. Lance whimpered and tucked his head into Keith's neck, scared at the deafening sound of gunshots.

Shiro burst through the door and Keith swung his body around to exit the hallway with a couple more shots. After the door shut, he leaped down the stairs. "Shiro!" Keith wrapped his gun hand around Lance's back, "They know we're here, the door's a trap!"

Shiro groaned, "I know!" Reaching the bottom of one flight, he lifted his robotic arm and punched the ugly white-bordered window. The sound of shattered glass filled the claustrophobic space as it littered the floor. Shiro turned around and motioned to it, "Go! Get Lance out of here!"

Keith leaned toward window to calculate his plan. They were only one story up, but it was much too high for him to jump out with Lance in his arms. Sticking his head out, he caught sight of more men below, aiming directly at him. He instantly whipped his head back behind shelter with a strained groan. He whipped his head around to face Shiro, "How the fuck do you think I could do that?!"

Just as he finished his shout, his ears caught the thundering of helicopter blades above them. A rope ladder dropped down to them, bringing a smirk to Keith's face. He pulled his arms back to hold Lance's waist, attempting to pull him off. Lance wouldn't budge. Keith was about to get irritated with him when he felt the shaking of the thin body. He rolled his eyes and tucked an arm back around Lance's back, using the other to pull one leg over the window. He placed his foot on a brick ledge and turned back to Shiro, "Give me your vest!"

Shiro quickly wiggled out of it and wrapped it around Lance. Lance pulled away slightly to thread his arms through, then clung to Keith again.

Keith brought his other leg out and braced himself for the jump. As Shiro shot at the men below, Keith called to Lance, shouting over the violent wind of the helicopter, "Hold on tight!" He pushed his body up as high as he could and reached for the ladder, grabbing it with his free hand. He felt a jerking movement as Shiro latched onto the ladder underneath him.

After reaching the top, Keith rolled onto the metal floor, protecting Lance's head with his gloved hands. Lance finally let go of him and found himself a chair, folding himself up. Shiro was brought up with a helping hand from Keith, thanking him with a pat on the shoulder.

Keith whooped and stood to face the hotel as they flew away. He placed headphones over his ears and talked into them, "Coran! You are a fucking boss!"

Coran's cheery accented voice chuckled back, "Glad to be of some help!"

Keith leaned out of the helicopter with a devilish smirk to flip off their attempted deaths.