Chapter 22: Max's, baby carrots, and detention

"Hey! Ashlynn." Ember says quietly as she points down the hallway of the school. At the end of the hallway, Max is standing there leaning against the frame of the door doing the handshake the guys do with his buds. I thought he didn't have any friends. Whatever thank goodness he has some. A tear rolls down my cheek. I run down the hallway and I wrap my arms around him and I hug him. I don't know why I'm this happy to see him. I guess it's because he's out of the hospital.

"I've missed you," I whisper into his ear.

"I missed you too" He whispers back.

"I thought you were going to leave me."

"I'm still the slender man."

"I thought you-"

"Me too."

"Well, whatever...?"

"You don't care?"

"Well... no, it's just that I wish you weren't. But I am really happy your alive." I say as I poke his chest.

He laughs. "Ok let's get to class." He says and grabs my hand.

•••

*Next class*

"I don't know what to do," I say to Ember and slouch back into my chair.

"Well, maybe you just have to deal with fact that he is who he is and nothing can change that."

"That cannot be truer."

"I'm a genius." She says biting into a baby carrot.

I give her the confused look. "Seriously, a carrot in class that's like the loudest thing to eat." I laugh.

"It's the only thing I have."

I shake my head and look up to see the teacher standing there. "What did I just say, Ashlynn?" He asks.

"Well, a well."

"It was me," Ember said. "I was talking to."

"Ok since you girls are the best students in my class I'll start you off with a warning."

I mouth the words 'that was close' to Ember.

•••

"Again why am I in detention? And why am I the only one?"

"1. You talked in class and 2 there's one more person but he's late."

"But you said you started us off with a warning? And where's Ember?"

"Sorry, I'm late." Max cut in.

"Speak of the devil." my teacher said.

"Max?! Why are you here."

He leaned forward because he was behind me. "I was talking in class."

"Oh, me too." I laugh.