Soulmate Marks

This is a different one shot and takes place before Oliver becomes the Hood (which is a stupid name).

Bassy's Pov

Barry isn't feeling good today and like the goodie two shoes he is, he doesn't want to miss work. Yeah, that's not possible when you can't move five feet from the bathroom. So naturally, Barry asked me to go to work for him today. Now, I'm good at acting as Barry to the point Joe doesn't know the difference. Of course, he also doesn't know I exist to look for a difference but still.

Anyways..., I got stuck heading to CCPD for the day. I swear Barry owes me for this. At least, the pain from the bullet hole is starting to fade and I have a weird feeling of hope blossoming in my chest for some reason.

Should I explain? I probably should, okay here goes, the bullet hole isn't mine, it's my soulmate's.

This planet has an interesting curse or blessing depending on how you look at it or how it affects you. There are multiple ways you can know who your soulmate is and everyone has a soulmate. You can never be truly happy with anyone less than your soulmate despite people trying. Which is why it can be a curse. Another reason is some markers are painful, like mine, where you can feel the other's pain. It's a rare mark and most only feel the pain of their soulmate when they die which is pretty depressing; especially when you didn't get any other marker. Oh yeah, that's another thing, not everyone has just one marker. Also, just because you have one kind, doesn't mean your soulmate has the same marker(s). Now, I could go on but I don't want to. If you can't figure out why people think their soulmate is a blessing, then you need to go back to school and learn something about common sense.

Now, back to CCPD, I walk into the main room where Joe's desk is to drop off the coffee Barry usually gives him before going to his lab. "Hey, Bear, did you sleep well?"

"Eh, not really, Joe, haven't been feeling well," I answer. I pull down my sleeves more to make sure my soulmate marks are covered. It's the only way to tell the difference between me and Barry. "I'm gonna head to my lab and get some tests started."

"Alright," Joe says turning back to his work.

As I head to the door, I see the news report from Starling City. "Oliver Queen has returned from the dead. 5 years ago. . ."

"ALLEN!" Captain Singh shouts.

I turn and find him dripping in my coffee, "I'm so so sorry, Captain. I was distracted. I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I promise."

"Allen," Singh sighs. "You and I both know it will happen again so please refrain from making promises you can't keep."

"Sorry, uh, Captain can I have today off?" I ask.

"What? You just spilled coffee on me and now you want the day off?"

I wince at my unusual clumsiness, "I have something to do and it's really important."

He raises an eyebrow, "and what may that be?"

I go to answer but my phone rings with a number I haven't seen in years. I pick it up with a 'I have to take this to Singh.' "I told you so," I speak to the caller. "But did you listen? No, because you were so much smarter than me and thought you knew best, you jerk!" Probably, not the best thing to say but come on I have five years of phantom torture behind my reasoning.

He laughs, "you did, and I missed you too."

"You're a jackass," I spit into the phone (not literally, that's disgusting). I turn around, "and don't think I didn't feel you trying to sneak up on me." I end the call when I see the caller in the entrance of the precinct.