EIGHT

Pro rev Frank is the reason for my existence.

___

Swept away through swirling motes of dust, twirling through the atmosphere at an inexplicable speed racing before Frank's wide and paralyzed eyes, he could barely push a gasp of air into his lungs. Gliding, nestled into the crook of his vampire's neck, he found no comfort in the chill of the air or even the bookish scent of the creature tucking him under his protective stance. The stale, lingering stench of blood clung to the vampire's clothes and reminded  Frank of the unholy doings such creatures performed for their own selfish will. While this particular vampire had done nothing but attempt to protect Frank from the frozen hands of monsters approaching from the gloom of the shadows, chaotic karma ensued, the assurance of fate being tattered until no good came out of keeping his life to himself.

The pain piercing through his skull rang true and triumphant, and it felt as if Lindsey had reached into his brain, picked through the layers of fleshy substances with her sharpened fingernails, and not a single drop of numbing serum had been injected into him beforehand. The sound around him was too violent to his ears despite the so subtle whistle it made to the normal human ear, all of his thoughts swirling through his mind in a scattered pattern until insanity bloomed at the back of it, images whirling together whenever he closed his eyes, and he cried out as he curled up against his vampire's chest.

"Frank, please, try and focus," A distant voice hollowly immersed in the raging storm of the contents in his head. Echoing, slowly becoming clearer, and Frank clung to the words until they suddenly became more clear as he processed them.

"Ah . . ." Frank hissed. He struggled to find words and for a moment panicked, wondering if he'd lost the memory of how to speak. He couldn't break through the haze, the ringing, the heavy feeling of his tongue resting in his mouth behind his lips gone numb.

"Listen to my voice, I need you to listen to me so you can come back." It spoke again, morphing into a he, dissipating in reverse until the familiarity of it sent a sharp pang through Frank. His heart, rapidly beating, gave away a kick, and he finally choked on a gasp.

"There, that's it, breathe." Frank's vampire, Gerard, sounded so close to his ear, and as Frank's eyes shot open, he felt the ghosting coldness of breath upon his cheek. The paleness of the light shouldn't have been such a shock to his sore eyes, but the insertion of the rays of the dim candlelight caused his pupils to pulse, the energy sending his head into a dizzying swirl of pain he felt so weakened by.

"Oh god." Frank swallowed thickly, attempting to break through the fog and move himself. As he sat upright, he swayed, gasping softly, and he felt a cool hand splaying out over his chest to gently push him back down against something soft below his body.

"You need time to recover," His vampire whispered into his ear. The soft tendrils of air pushing out from between the vampire's lips brushed against Frank's skin, cool where it met the flushed skin of his cheek, and Frank turned his head to the side as the blood began pulsing through his head.

His lids carried the weight of iron. His eyes were only open slightly, the world around him too blurry for him to take in entirely, and he could hear himself breathing deeply through the roaring of blood in his mind. Through the fog, he could feel a cool hand brushing against his forehead, icy skin an instant relief where it touched the feverish quality of his flesh. Frank turned into it, shivering from the difference in temperature.

"Je vais vous proteger." Gerard's words, the silk embedding itself into his voice, resonated within Frank, and suddenly, he was much more aware of the events taking place as he weakly laid against a soft surface and the refreshing touch of the man who'd carried him away from the scene.