Chapter Tweleve: Surreal

I dont remember my parents coming home. I don't remember the paramedics saying she was already gone and then taking her away. All I could think of the little squirming person in my arms. She stared up at me, so many questions in her little eyes.

I touched her face and she smiled. I was now setting in the waiting room in thehospital. My parents where talking to the hospital since the EMT's had attempted to revive Addie. The little girl was still starign up at me. I wished she could tell me what happened. How this could have happened. BUt luckily I had printed Addie's letter off before I left, she had to have left me some clue as to why she did this and how this little girl came to be. I looked up and Easton was setting across the waitroom with a few other people. I couldn't make eye contact with them. One of the girls had asked about the baby and I said it was my distant aunts daughter. I took out the letter and opened it.

The little girl was starting to fall asleep so I rocked her easily and began reading.

Oh Rainey, if you are reading this then I did it, I made the only choice I could. One I hope helped my daughter to have a better life. Raine, I made so many bad mistakes in my life, this was my way of keeping from ruining her life too. I hope right about now you are holding my little angel. She is so beautiful isn't she. Her name is Dakota Raine, after the two people who made my life alittle bareable...you and her father. Before you decide that she is Kyle's problem I must tell you two things. One I want you to raise her. And two...he isn't her father. Easton is. But noone knows that so please keep that to yourself. Kyle and I never completely finished the job if you get my drift. Well I guess what I am trying to get at is that I want you and Easton to raise my daughter like she was your own. I know you like Easton and knowing he is Dakota's dad may hurt, but know that it was a one time thing. Easton and I were at a party, we got drunk, things happened, and Dakota was created. I hope Easton came to the hospital with you guys because I think you two need to talk about this. Tell mom and dad that this isn't their fault I just needed a way out and this was it. I had to get out of the situation that I was in and I finally did. Look in my locker at school. Don't let mom and dad clean it out. There's a letter for Dakota in there and I don't want anyone to see it.

I love you all so much.

Love Addison.

I looked up at Easton and he was smiling at me. I narrowed my eyes and frowned. He knew I knew. I gave him the follow me look and he got up from the group of blubbing girls and followed me down the hall away from the waiting room.

"Hello Mr. Everheart. Father of this little angel here." he looked at the floor.

"Rainey listen..." he started but I cut him off.

"No you listen. Addison wants us to raise Dakota together. You better know right now that I expect you to help with half of everything." I looked at him angerly.

"Rainey please don't hate me. I wanna help take care of her. That was my plan even before Addison died. WE had it all planned, who do yo uthink bought all those clothes for the baby...I.."

"Her name is Dakota...aperently named after me and you." I corrected him.

"Dakota. My middle name."

"I just wanted to let you know that we can split the time with her down the middle. That way Addie gets her wish."

"Rainey please just concider what I have to say."

"Speak..."

"Okay what if you gave me a chance to be a good dad to Dakota, by lettign me be a good boyfriend to you."

"Please tell me you aren't asking me out on the day my sister, the mother of your child, died." I turned to walk away.

"You know what, forget the split time. I'll raise her alone. I don't need your help and neither does Dakota."

WIth that I walked away and to the hospital exit with Dakota clutched in my arms. It felt like my heart was breaking. I didn't really know Easton...and now I never would. I had just severed all ties with him. It would be easier that way. If she never knew Easton he'd never hurt her.

I sat on my couch waiting for my parents to come home from the hosital. But I didn't foresee them comign home very much anymore. Dakota was sleeping on my bed and I was tryign to convince myself to go into Addison's room and get all the baby stuff.

I finally took a deep breath and opened the door and stepped into the room. It smelled like Addie still. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't. I guess it doesn't seem like it can smell like her without her being here.

I walked to Addie's closet and started looking for baby clothes when Addie's computer pinged.

She had an IM...someone didn't know she was dead...