feels •shawn mendes• ch. 17

"W-what?" He asks me, shocked.

"How did you know you wanted us to be more than friends?" I ask him again, and his face turns red.

"Uh.." he starts.

"Shawn, im your girlfriend. I promise you that whatever you thought can't be that embarrassing." I squeeze his hand.

"Yes it could."

"Please tell me..." i tell him.

He takes a deep breath and nods.

"The first time you met my family, my dad pulled me aside while you talked to my mom. He said the way that I looked at you was the same way he looked at my mom when they first dated. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about, and he said I would figure it out. I turned and looked at you right then, and you were smiling and laughing with my mom and Aaliyah. And I don't know what it was about that moment, but it just made me feel so much closer to you. And I could just tell that my dad was right. I probably sound like a hopeless romantic, huh?" He laughs a little.

"Never." I tell him.

"What about you? How did you know?" He asks me.

I hesitate for a moment.

"I think it was when I started to defend you. And meet you outside all the time. I could tell you cared, and it made me feel wanted. I just didn't think you felt the same way." I say, and he takes my hand.

"Well, i did." He laughs.

Im silent for a moment as we sit and listen to music.

"You know what tomorrow is?" Shawn says excitedly.

"No?"

"It marks three months since we started hanging out."

I laugh a little, "you're really keeping tabs on these things, aren't you?"

He nods and we sit there for another twenty minutes.

Eventually we get up and drive back to our houses.

...

Im sitting on my couch with my sister when my phone rings.

I look down at it and the caller ID says: SHAWN💗

"Helloooo?" I ask.

"Babe, you won't believe this!"

"What?"

"The record company! They want me to record as soon as possible and then fly to LA to write more songs. My career, it's starting." He blurts out, and i can't help but smile.

"Wait, when are you leaving?" I ask.

"Two weeks at the most..." he says quietly.

"Oh."

"Hey, wanna go out later? To celebrate." He says softly.

"Sure."

"Pick you up at 6?" He says.

"Wouldn't miss it. Bye, babe."

My eyes water a little as I hang up the phone. I don't know how long he'll be gone.

I go upstairs and start to get ready.

...

"You look beautiful." He says, smiling at me as I get into the car.

"Not so bad yourself, mendes." I tease him.

As we drive he looks at me every once in a while and smiles.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Your favorite restaurant, Aubrey." He says.

"The fish place?" I say, and his face drops.

"I-no, the Chinese food one. I thought you hated fish?" He stutters, and I laugh.

"I'm just kidding!"

...

"The girls over there are staring at us." I tell him, and he looks over at them.

They immediately giggle, and I can't help but feel a little jealous.

"Hi! Omg, are you Shawn Mendes?" They ask, coming over to our table.

"I am." He replies, and then they look at me.

"Who's she? Do you have a girlfriend?" One of the girls asks, reaching for her phone to take a picture of us.

"Uh. No, that's my friend." Shawn says quickly, sneaking a look at me.

Wow, thanks shawn.

I turn away momentarily until the girls leave.

"Your 'friend'?" I glare at him a little.

"I was just trying to get them away. I didn't want them to take a picture of us and post it. I thought you wanted to keep us private."

My face softens, and I nod.

"Don't worry, Aubrey. Believe me. I wish I could tell the world about us just as much as you do. You know I love you!" He says, looking into my eyes.

"You-you said you love me." I say softly, looking back at him.

"I know."

"Why?"

"I know, it seems soon. We've only been dating for a few weeks, but I've known you for longer, and I think it's pretty obvious to everyone how I feel about you." Shawn says, smiling.

"Shawn...I-" I stutter, struggling to tell him the same words he told me.

"Aubrey, don't worry." He shushes me. "I'm not expecting you to say it back if you aren't ready. I just wanted you to know how I feel about you, even though you probably already knew. After all, it wouldn't take a genius to see that I'm crazy about you."

My heart flutters a little bit and I blush.

The waitress comes by with our food and the rest of the night we talk before heading back to his house.

When we walk into the door, his parents smile at us.

"We have something we want to give you." They tell us, walking over with a little box.

"Oh?" Shawn seems surprised.

"Open it." Karen hands us the box.

I open it and I'm shocked to see two little gold rings.

"Mom? Dad? What are these?" Shawn looks up at them.

"Put them on!" Karen gestures excitedly.

We do as she says, and I smile a little bit. I hold my hand up to shawns, and his parents look at us with love in their eyes.

"Those are the promise rings that Mannys parents gave us when we first started to date." Karen says, looking up at shawns dad.

"We know it's early in the relationship, but we can see that you two are meant for one another." Manny says.

"I—thank you guys." I gush out, smiling up at shawn.

"Have you told her you love her yet?" Manny asks, and shawn blushes.

"Dad!"

"Just saying, I wasted no time telling your mother how I felt. And look where we ended up." Manny laughs.