feels •shawn mendes• epilogue

THREE YEARS LATER:

AUBREY POV:

"Rylie! Stop." I tell my best friend.

She laughs and pulls on my arm.

"The store just opened! I wanna go see!" She drags me towards the new Morphe store in the mall, with me trudging along behind her.

As she shops, the radio is playing overhead. I nearly stop in my tracks as I hear

"And now, a new song from worldwide sensation Shawn Mendes!"

A slow melody begins to play, and my heart feels like someone squeezed it, hard.

The pre-chorus plays, and I almost shed a tear.

"Don't know why I tried, 'cause ain't nobody like you
Familiar disappointment, every single time I do
And every single night my arms are not around you
My mind's still wrapped around you"

I take in a deep breath.

"Baby, tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin'
Baby, anytime you're ready
I'm waitin'
Even ten years from now if you haven't found somebody
I promise, I'll be around
Tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin'

What if my dad is right, and he says that you're the one
No, I can't even argue, I won't even fight him on it
Call you when it's late, and I know that you're on bed
'Cause I'm three hours back, seems like you're always six ahead"

I remember when Manny told us we were meant to be together, and I tearfully walk slowly out of the store, Rylie calling after me. The music seems to follow me, I can still hear it from outside the store, clear as day.

Rylie pays for her things, and all the while I listen to the song.

"And I don't know why I tried, 'cause there ain't nobody like you
Familiar disappointment every single time I do
And eery single night my arms are not around you
My mind's still wrapped around you

Baby, tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin'
Baby, anytime you're ready
I'm waitin'
Even ten years from now if you haven't found somebody
I promise, I'll be around
Tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin', yeah

And if I have to, I'll wait forever
Say the word, and I'll change my plans
Yeah, you know that we fit together
I know your heart like the back of my hand

So baby, tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin'
Baby, any time you're ready
I'm waitin', yeah
Even ten years from now if you haven't found somebody
I promise, I'll be around
Tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin', yeah
Baby, tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin'
Baby, any time you're ready
I'm waitin', oh
Even ten years from now if you haven't found somebody
I promise, I'll be around
Tell me when you're ready
I'm waitin', I'm waitin'"

No way this can be about me, it's too impossible. There's probably been thousands of girls. But a small part of me wants to believe it could be.

"What was that about?" Rylie asks.

She doesn't know about shawn and I.

"Im fine.."

"Shawn Mendes made you cry? I never thought a song would make you cry."

"It's not the song." I tell her.

"What!"

"Ry. I need to tell you something."

I sit her down and we sit for what seems like hours. At some points I nearly cry, but at most I'm laughing or blushing.

I point to the ring i still wear on my finger.

"What's that?"

"He gave it to me. He had one too, his parents used to wear them before we did. He probably doesn't wear it anymore."

"Are you kidding? He probably still thinks about you all the time." She reassures me.

We take our shopping bags and head back to our apartment, and then we get busy buying tickets for his next concert.

ONE MONTH LATER:

SHAWN POV:

"There's so many people out there, dude."

"I've done this a million times." I tell my friend James. "You'll be okay! Just go out there, take a few pictures, answer some questions."

He nods and heads out through the curtain.

A half hour later he comes back and nods for me to go.

AUBREY POV:

I shudder, looking at the big venue where the concert is being held.

"I can't do this, Rylie. He probably hates me."

She punches my arm softly,

"You got this. Now come on, we're going to be late."

"Fine." I open the door of the car and step out.

She follows my lead, and we walk in with the mob of kids running in front of us. I see some of them turn to look at me, and it almost seems like they recognize me.

We're standing in line for what feels like forever before Rylie finally goes in the meet and greet. She winks at me as she goes, and I start to get more nervous.

"Next!" The security guard says, and I walk in, head down.

"Hey! What pose do you wa-" shawn goes silent as I look up at him.

"Hi." I say awkwardly.

"Aubrey?" He seems surprised.

"Sorry, this must be so awkward. I just had to see you. It's been so long, I just needed closure."

He fiddles with his hair, looking down at my hand.

"You still wear the ring after all this time?" He asks after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah," i say, embarrassed. "I guess I just never felt the need to take it off. Memories, remember?"

He nods and holds up his right hand. There on his finger is his matching ring.

"So you never took yours off either?" I ask, my heart fluttering a bit.

"Nope. Not once all these years." He smiles a little, "and the first time I went on stage I made sure to think of you."

I laugh a little, smiling more than I have in the past few years.

...

Rylie and I take our seats in the 5th row, and I take a deep breath as shawn comes on stage.

"So, change of plans. I'm switching up the set list a bit." He says, and the crowd goes wild.

I look up at him, confused. He makes eye contact with me and smiles.

"This song is one i wrote about a girl I was in love with. We ended badly, but we always still felt something for one another. She's actually in the crowd tonight. Aubrey, this is for you. This is called When You're Ready."

I feel a tear slip down my face as he holds up his hand, showing the ring off to the crowd. Everyone ooohs and ahhhs.

He looks directly at me as he says,

"Memories, you know?", and the soft melody of When You're Ready begins to flood the arena.

THE END.

AUTHORS NOTE: should I make a part two of the epilogue or just pick up from here when I write the sequel? Also thank you thank you for joining me on this wattpad journey and being so supportive about this story and yeah idek I love you guys so much! My second story, Memories, will probably begin being published in a few days. The past few months writing feels have been amazing and I can't thank you enough for that.
-A 💓💓💓