Chapter 6 | Slapped In The Face Unnecessarily

Start from the beginning

After I finish my pizza Mia grabs my hand.
"Uh, Mia?" I question her raising an eyebrow.

She rolls her eyes dramatically, completely out of character.
"I'm seeing if your monitor is activated. Do you mind if I test it?" She motions to the band around my wrist.

Robert and Eddie both start laughing together. I had no idea what was so funny.
"Not at all." I reply, nodding my head.
She lifts my arm up, examining the bracelet on my wrist.
"If I slapped you in the face, would you get mad?" She asked.

I started to laugh, unsure if she was serious.
"Um, yeah."

A pain surges through my cheek, Mia slapping me in the face.
I started to get angry, and I clench my fists. But the bracelet sends a shock through my wrist, and I jump back.
"What was that for?" I ask, rubbing my burning cheek and my stinging wrist.

Robert and Eddie are laughing loudly, unable to contain themselves. Mia giggles herself, her cheeks flushing a bright red.
"Test attempt 01 successful."

"What does this thing do?" I say looking at it. It just seemed like an ordinary wrist band.
Mia points her finger on the bottom of it, facing my wrist upwards.
"When your blood pressure gets too high, it sends a shock through your body. Basically, instead of getting mad and wanting to hurt me-"

"Or throw a two hundred pound weight at a treadmill." Robert laughs interrupting. Eddie had finally calmed down, but starts laughing again.

Mia glares at him, waiting for him to finish.
"Instead, it calms your nerves. So pretty much, you wont get as mad as you normally would. You should have normal control over your emotions."

I look at the bracelet and twist my wrist around. I knew it wouldn't be coming off anytime soon.
"You didn't have to slap me that hard." I complain.

Mia crosses her arms. "And you didn't have to hold a knife to my throat." She points to her neck, a small cut placed there. I hadn't realized the knife had actually cut her skin at all. She seemed to have more confidence now that she could electrocute my arm whenever she wanted.
My cheeks turn red. Eddie stops laughing, his face completely serious.
"I thought that came from Dad!" He says rushing over.

Mia stops dead in her tracks.
Her dad?
She looks at her wrist. "Oh look at the time! Shouldn't we get going soon?"

I looked at her arm, she wasn't even wearing a watch. She grabs Eddie's and starts tugging him out of the room. I stare at Robert. He lifts his arms up in the air innocently.
"Don't look at me." He says calmly.

Robert gets up, and I follow him out of the room.
I was thankful Eddie didn't get mad at me when he found out I cut her. His thoughts seemed to be elsewhere.
Why did he assume that their dad was the one who did this?
I instantly felt bad for Mia, even though I didn't know the whole story.
I'd forgiven her for unnecessarily slapping me in the face.

"Good morning Sub." Abbie says, smiling.
I nod in return. Gesturing a thank you.
"Are you ready for your first assignment?" She asks.

"I guess I am?" I don't know what else she expected me to say. Nope, I changed my mind. I'm just gonna walk to the home I don't have to the family I don't know.

Robert was eating a corndog again. It was drizzled in...
"What is that?" I ask disgusted.

"Maple syrup." He slurps, a look of satisfaction on his face. I grimaced at the gooey food as he shoved it in his mouth.