18.

The ride home was silent. To Xander's surprise they didn't live that far away from each other. Neither said anything even once Jessica fell asleep. Xander thought Ayden was upset about keeping the whole Lin and Jessica thing a secret.

What Xander feared most was Ayden thinking something horrible about what happened. To have his own daughter being witness to all the harsh things said about himself. That's something he found hard to live with at the moment. Directing them at him was one thing but to his own daughter was another.

Xander had his own thoughts. He knew Jessica's mother wasn't around. He didn't want to ask Ayden about it until he was willing to tell him. His speech was grand but at the end of day he needed the truth from Ayden himself. Even if Ayden isn't Jessica's biological father. He was still her father and nothing could change that. Even Jessica knew that.

Ayden told Xander to stop just in front of a medium sized home. Xander felt eager to go inside. To see another side of Ayden. "I'll carry her in," Xander offered. The whole situation has taken a lot from Ayden.

As Xander took Jessica from the car. Ayden went to open the doors. His home was just as welcoming as Xander's home had become over the past week. There were many drawings done by Jessica. Ayden guided Xander to Jessica's room. He placed her down then look towards Ayden.

His eyes were puffy and red from the crying. Xander couldn't bare seeing him like this. They went back downstairs and sat in silence. Ayden fiddled with his fingers. "Jessica and I-"

"You don't have to say," Xander intersect. "Even if its true that doesn't change the fact that you're her father. "

Ayden smiled at Xander. His words were encouraging. "I adopted her when she was only one years old. It was difficult to do so since I was a single parent. After completing the adoption she was the best thing that's ever happened in my life" Xander knew very well how much Ayden loves Jessica. How similar and close they are. 

"I love her so much yet-" Ayden wiped a tear away. Xander rushed to his side and hugged him. He didn't want the younger man to be crying again. "I feel like I've failed her."

"You haven't," Xander squeezed him tighter. "As I said before you're a good dad. Anyone would love to have you as a parent." Xander paused. "Not only a parent. A friend, a boyfriend or even a husband. That's how great you are."

A light chuckle escape his lips. "You never fail to surprise me Xander."

Pulling from the hug he said. "I'm sorry for not telling you about Lin."

"Jessica probably didn't want me to hear those words." he looked up the stairs. "I'm glad she met you. Instead of carrying that burden alone she told you. And what you did back there, thank you."

Xander's heart flooded with emotion. He knew well now. Looking at Ayden now, he figured everything out. "Do you hear that?" Xander suddenly said. Ayden shook his head. "Listen closely."

They listened closely enough to hear the sound of music playing. Xander started humming to the tune. Ayden could also hear the song but he wasn't familiar with it. "May I have this dance?" Xander extended his hand for Ayden to take.

Ayden smiled embarrassingly. "I can't dance."

"Come on," Xander insisted. He had promised with Jessica to go for ice cream to cheer him up. With the change of events that wasn't going to happen. 

Ayden hesitated but took Xander's hand. Xander placed his hands on Ayden's waist reminding them of the events at the coffee shop. Ayden placed his arms around Xander's neck. They stared into each others eyes as they swayed to the music. The silence made the volume of the music felt like it increased.

Xander pulled Ayden closer towards him. Their bodies only inches apart. "You know," Xander gave Ayden a twirl. "I always said I would dance to this song with the person I love."

Ayden blushed deeply as he looked away. Xander had just confess and in that instant Ayden became loss for words. "I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything," Xander said, stopping their movements.

He cupped Ayden's cheeks. This time instead of stopping halfway he went in full. His lips collided with Ayden's. A small peck at first but when Ayden held the back of his head in place. He knew he had his permission.

Ayden granted Xander entrance. Their tongues dangled in passion. All the feelings they wanted to express was felt in the kiss. Nothing else mattered, cloud nine couldn't describe how they felt. Pulling away from the kiss to catch their breaths.  Staring happily at each other.

"I umm..." Ayden fumbled. "I love you too."

A series of claps followed. They turned to see Jessica grinning from ear to ear. "Jess," Ayden said.

"You didn't see me," Jessica laugh. "I'm going back to bed."

Xander chuckled. Ayden turned to glare at him. He wrapped his arm around him and pulled him close. "She definitely approves."

"Of course she does."

EDITED