14.

For the next few days Xander's house seem to be the source of all preparation. Jessica and Ayden had come over to get ready to leave for Jake's birthday party. It was more convenient that way. Xander thought it was a great opportunity to finally see their house. That dream was crushed when they cane knocking at his door that morning.

Xander stood behind Jessica, staring down at her shoulder length brunette hair. 'How am I going to do this?" He thought to himself.

Jessica had requested two French braids with ribbons tied like bows at the end. Just thinking about it gave Xander a headache. Ayden who had rushed off to take a shower kindly asked Xander to take care of Jessica's hair. Xander confusingly staring at Jessica's hair wasn't helping the situation. They were late enough already.

"Can you choose another hairstyle?" Xander asked, rubbing his temple. "Maybe a ponytail" Xander has seen Ayden do it a few times. It looked simple enough. He could almost see himself doing the perfect ponytail.

"But daddy says I could get braids"

Xander ran towards his phone and went to YouTube. Clicking a few videos he tired copying their movements. Ayden came running down the stairs fully clothed and ready. "You haven't started as yet?" He walked towards Jessica. Xander showed him his phone and Ayden chuckled. "You could've told me that you didn't know how to do it."

"Maybe I wanted to impress you," Xander smirked.

"There are other ways to impress me Xander."

Xander couldn't help but smile at his words. He watched as Ayden dealt with Jessica's hair. As he watched the younger man he felt a slight tug in his heart. Xander didn't know exactly what would happen that day. He knew he wanted to kiss Ayden and with little control he had left, he stopped himself. Xander'd thought about it countless times. Would Ayden have welcomed the kiss? How would their relationship change afterwards? Would it be for better or for worst?

Xander noticed how Ayden acted normally after and so did he. There was no doubt he felt something. Else why would he even want to kiss the younger man in the first place. The bigger question Xander needed answers to was how Ayden felt towards him.

"You're good at this," Xander complimented, smiling fondly at Ayden.

"I've been doing it for years" Ayden said. "At first all I could do was a ponytail," he laughed lightly. He placed the last ribbon on the end of Jessica's hair then turned to face Xander. "Ready?"

Xander looked around the room. It was a bit messy and he would have to deal with it when he gets back. "I'll go get the presents," he informed them.

Xander went and collected both presents. It was hard for him to think of what to buy. His nephew had grown much over the years and his interests had probably changed. With some help from Lisa he picked out a decent present. Ayden also bought Jake a gift. Xander thought it wasn't necessary. He could just tell his older sister it was from all of them but Ayden insisted.

Fully confident nothing was being left behind. Xander walked back to the living area. He hadn't noticed how well Ayden looked. His usually breath taken aura had increase making Xander almost trip on the way out. He didn't miss the laugh that escaped Ayden's lip.

As they made their way to the car. Xander thought to keep a close eye on Ayden. He didn't want anyone stealing him from under his grasp. Settled in the car, they headed to Marianna's house.

"What's your sister like?" Ayden asked, gazing out the window.

"Umm..." Xander thought for a moment. "She's kind, friendly and loud," was what he could come up with. "Much like Jackson."

Ayden looked at Xander with a sullen expression. "Whose Jackson?" He had the slightest feeling of who Xander was referring to.

"My friend from the movie theater" Xander said. He forgot they haven't met officially.

"Don't talk about him," Jessica who was busy playing games said. "You'll make da-"

"Jessica!" Ayden spun on his seat. She knew she'd done something wrong whenever Ayden called her Jessica instead of Jess.

Xander startled, quickly glance between the two. The sudden development of this conversation had him worried. Ayden turned around and gazed back out the window.

"Do you have any siblings?" He tried to change the tension in the car. Jessica too was upset as she stopped playing her game, crossed her arms over her chest and pouted.

"No, I don't."

Xander didn't say anything else. He knew that those words were the end of their conversation. The rest of the car ride was silent. In view came Marianna's house. Lively music was playing and Xander could see that a lot of people where there. Parking the car he got out. Ayden and Jessica did the same as he got the presents.

Noticing the silence as he walked to the front door. The sullen expression that each of them wore. Xander knew he had to fix this current situation.

EDITED